Quantcast

Sea Buckthorn oil?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MetalSubstance

Reaction score
Hi all,

Lately I've been hearing more about a type of plant oil known as "sea buckthorn":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Buckthorn

I'm wondering if any attempts have been made to create a soap from this oil, what kind of properties the soap may have, and whether this oil can be found anywhere.

Thanks,
--Metal Substance

IanT

Reaction score
thats quite an interesting plant!.. howd you come across it?? just random research? i love looking up plants ive never heard of!

MetalSubstance

Reaction score
IanT said:
thats quite an interesting plant!.. howd you come across it?? just random research? i love looking up plants ive never heard of!
I'm not exactly sure, but I think I came across it while surfing through Wikipedia looking up various fatty acids (oleic, linoleic, etc.)

It's fascinating learning about the properties of plants, animals, and the fatty acids that they produce -- especially how each fatty acid behaves in a bar of soap.

--Metal Substance

IanT

Reaction score
I think we think much the same :) its kind of like thought trains leading you to different stuff :)

brian0523

Reaction score
I've been using this oil in a facial moisturizer I make specifically for mature/dry skin. It's a wonderful oil with amazing properties. A bit on the expensive side IMO for soap making.