Scenting a Rebatched Soap with Sandalwood E.O.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchidgirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to do my first re-batch, since I have a fresh 2 pound batch of soap that did not turn out so well (failed attempt at making pretty swirls, and forgot to add any fragrance. Oops). I figured this would be a great opportunity to use my 1/4 ounce of sandalwood essential oil that I've been squirreling away for a special occasion, since (if I understand correctly) the soap being used for a re-batch is already saponified and so the lye shouldn't "eat" the fragrance as it usually does.

Anyway. How much of my precious sandalwood oil should I use per pound or other amount of my soon-to-be rebatched soap? Is my 1/4 ounce of sandalwood strong enough, do you think, to scent the entire 2-lb batch, or would it be better to just rebatch a pound (or less) of it and add all the e.o. to that?

And a related question: Do you have any special tips for someone who is a rank beginner at re-batching? I know most folks say to use a crockpot...I have one, but am completely unfamiliar with its use...so, I am most likely planning on using the double-boiler method for rebatching this. Is that fairly simple, or would some other method work better? I have even seen some explanations online about rebatching in a "heatproof" plastic bag...is that just a heavy-duty Ziploc freezer bag, or what?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any tips you may have for me!
Claire

To rebatch in the crock pot I turn it on high and let it heat up a little bit, I turn the crock to medium and then I add the chunked up soap and let it melt, add the scent and put in mold. I am not sure what rate sandalwood eo is used in soap, I hope someone else can answer that.

Thanks for the tip. That does sound pretty easy. Is there much of a risk of burning the soap in a crockpot?

I actually just cut the soap a little while ago, and to my surprise it's not as bad looking as I feared. I thought I had muddled the colors together a lot worse than I did. So I think what I might do is just rebatch a few of the bars, adding a small amount of the sandalwood, and just try to "judge" how much is right. I think this might help me avoid over-diluting the scent. Of course, if anyone has any experience working with this essential oil, please feel free to advise me on this.

I'm attaching a photo of the batch, which is colored with pink kaolin clay and alkanet root. My first ever time working with color! Hopefully the rebatch will turn out well, also.

004.jpg

Back