Scent Library

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandra@SS

Reaction score
How do people present their scent 'stock' to consumers?

I have tried a dipped toothpick and a slip of light card (scent name on card) in a little teensy snap lock bag.
my issues have been...
some scents invade others ;
they needed refreshing after 3 months ;
eventually everything smells of chocolate;
each bag requires airing 24hrs after 'infusing/refreshing'.

refreshing I can deal with, its not a huge library, but the invasions make it quite a pointless exercise.

I was thinking to fix the FO/EO in a small soap and baging that. But its a lot of fiddly work if it isnt going to do the job.

I was wondering what other people did.

Is this for perfumes, body sprays, soaps, candles...?

For my soaps, I have the soaps available for smelling.

I would suggest the bits of soap - you could make a batch and grate 1 bar. I'd suggest using the blade of the grater that makes the larger curls vs small shreds. You could also mix the scent with some wax.

I'm actually very intrigued by a scent library. It could really make sense for custom orders. My sister sold Gold Canyon candles for a while and they got a kit that had a small plastic jar of scented wax so people could smell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the others, I am wondering what of product you want to display in your "library" so people can sniff your available scents....

But just to get started untill we get more info - you could use plain beeswax (prefarable refined so the scent doesn`t get interrupted by the natural fragrance of the unrefined). Then add your fragrance, pour in tiny and cute molds (i.e flowers, butterflies etc.) And in the size of icecubes or the likes. Those molds are cheap on ebay/Amazon,AliExpress.

After they are cooled you could take a sewingthread (or fishingwire, it wont break so easily) and string them up. Put one in a ziplock bag, and the fragrances should not bleed into eachother if the bag is of good quality. I have made bathroom fresheners this way with essential oils I can`t use on the skin, the fragrances last a long time. When it fades I just remelt them and add more fragrance.

The string is so you can hang them wherever you want. Put back in bags when you don`t need them to be sniffed.

Like the others, I am wondering what of product you want to display in your "library" so people can sniff your available scents....

But just to get started untill we get more info - you could use plain beeswax (prefarable refined so the scent doesn`t get interrupted by the natural fragrance of the unrefined). Then add your fragrance, pour in tiny and cute molds (i.e flowers, butterflies etc.) And in the size of icecubes or the likes. Those molds are cheap on ebay/Amazon,AliExpress.

After they are cooled you could take a sewingthread (or fishingwire, it wont break so easily) and string them up. Put one in a ziplock bag, and the fragrances should not bleed into eachother if the bag is of good quality. I have made bathroom fresheners this way with essential oils I can`t use on the skin, the fragrances last a long time. When it fades I just remelt them and add more fragrance.

The string is so you can hang them wherever you want. Put back in bags when you don`t need them to be sniffed.
that is a good idea!
inevitably people try and smell with their fingers, and so a wax block would be more durable than soap!
I might try it!
thanks heaps

that is a good idea!
inevitably people try and smell with their fingers, and so a wax block would be more durable than soap!
I might try it!
thanks heaps
However, scent in a lot of cases I have found, smell slightly different in different applications. Several of my double duty scents (ones I use in B&B, soap and candles) all smell similar of course, but can have different nuances and different notes come out in the different applications.
If I am selling candles, I have samples in wax, if I am selling soap I have samples in soap, for that very reason.

I was going to respond the same as Jcandleattic. I've been doing favors for baby showers, weddings etc so started something similar.

I have small soap samples. I place each fragrance in a small plastic Ziploc type bag and label the fragrance.
I also have small containers of sugar scrub in different fragrances as well.

Fragrances smell different in different applications. So, I feel you need to present it in the product you are using it in.

Latest posts

Back