Scary first attempt of working with lye on first CP batch.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnceUponATime

Reaction score
I finally got the nerve up yesterday and made my first batch of cold process. I got the recipe from the book "The Everything Soapmaking Book" by Alicia Grosso. I like the layout of the recipes for starters into different sized batches for each recipe. I used one that had olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil and just a small amount of castor oil to superfat it.

I have been reading for ages to prepare myself , even took a class but I missed the first part of mixing the lye because I got there late. I thought I knew what to expect with the lye and had prepared for eveything (goggles, gloves, lined counter top,vinegar, an open window and fan to draw away the fumes. However, when I opened the container of lye the lye started to MOVE out of the container on it's own. I poured very very slow to measure it but it seemed to be flying everywhere over the newspaper, reacting to the air. I found it so scary I was shaking. After the whole procedure and clean up I thought I might never try CP again. And yet I find myself still thinking of the next batch. My soap is already hardening up and will be ready to cut soon. Looks like it turned out great. I didn't colour it but scented it with an essential oil blend called Ambiance I got at CanWax. It's a citrus smelling blend and the soap is a a natural yellow so it goes well with the colour.

Why didn't any of the soap making books warn me about lye moving like that? There a video on-line where someone is mixing up the lye and that didn't happen to him. He just poured it from the container , no problem.

I suppose lye can be static. did you have fans going, or an open window? Are you using crystals? I purchased a container from Brambleberry, the lye was flakes. I really loved it and wish I could afford to make it a staple (It was rather costly for 32 oz, with shipping). It was really high quality, as far as lye goes and quite easy to handle. Crystals have a tendancy to move, although your case sounds extreme. I'm sure your nerves didn't help.

Don't be frightened. Try it again. Make sure there are no drafts. I really can't think of othe reasons why your lye started moving out of the container. Anyone else?

For some reason there is a lot of static in the lye. It seems to move with air flow. I even used a dryer sheet to try to de static the container I use and it did not work. Keep trying and dont give up! It is a lot of fun! Every time you make a batch you will be more at ease with using the lye. I too was very intimated by the lye, now I'm still intimated just not as much.

Wow, that would be scary. I've never experienced anything like that so I don't have a clue. Sorry your first experience was not as you planned, but don't give up. Maybe someone else here will have a clue "why" your lye moved like that. I'm kind of interested to know myself.

Yes, I did have an open window and ititally a fan on to direct the fumes when I mixed up the lye outside. I turned the fan off as soon as I tried to open the container and the lye was moving up and out of the container but it continued to do so. Now I realize it had to do with the open window. Thanks. I think I would like to try it again knowing the reason why it did that. Next time I'll open the window AFTER it's mixed with the water. I had some lye attached to the outside of the container that I just couldn't get off at the time and so put it in a plastic bag. At the time I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to get the container wet and yet anything dry would not remove the lye from the outside of the container. Should I spray the inside of the bag and outside of the container with vinegar or is it okay stored as it is?

I still shake thinking about the whole experience. I'm glad my husband was there at the time. My hands were shaking really bad. I was just as nervous too last year when I had to learn how to give my cat fluids under the skin. The first attempt was nerve shattering and now I'm quite confortable with it. I'm hoping working with lye will be the same.

It'll get easier, don't worry. Just leave the window shut.. as long as you keep your face away from the lye mixture you'll be fine. Or even wear a mask. You could get one from the DIY store or something along those lines. My mam's a nurse so she gave me mine :p Just don't breathe in the mixture. (You'll know if you do, you'll start to cough straight away!)

Lye can jump due to static. If you are having issues:
1. Work on a a nice big terrycloth towel - it will catch those flying lye beads. After you have made up your lye solution you can then bundle it up and put it straight into the washing machine.
2. Wipe the outside of your lye container with a fabric softener sheet before you open it.
3. Take a quick wipe on the inside of the mouth of the container after you open it.
4. Measure the dry lye into either a glass or metal (NOT aluminum!) container.
5. Use a metal spoon.
6. Wipe your lye pitcher with a fabric softener sheet too.
7. NEVER WEAR FLEECE WHILE WORKING WITH LYE. That stuff will attract lye beads like nobody's business. And you don't want lye beads inside the sleeves - trust me on this.

You should be able to do your MEASURING indoors... I do. That may reduce the problem with drafts and humidity etc. I measure the lye into a disposable container that I can seal (like a used deli or Glad container), then measure my water into my rubbermaid pitcher. I still use precautions like rubber gloves etc and I keep my face somewhat turned away. But what I consider to be the real dangerous fumes don't really happen until you add it to the water... which I do outside.

I have noticed that if I'm not careful, the humidity from adding it to the water can cause it to stick to the container I'm pouring from, so I try to pour in a little at a time and then quickly move the container of measured lye away from my water as I stir. I still occasionally have a few sticky flakes but it's easy enough to rinse those off with the garden hose.

I think it's also important to mention that my containers are well marked with the word "Poison" as well as the Mr. Yuck symbol. I do leave them outside as they cool but always out of reach and out of sight inside the bed of my pickup truck which is parked where I can keep a watch from my kitchen window. The important point is to think ahead and do all you can to minimize the possibility of accidents.

I live in a humid climate so I don't have those types of challenges. Here is an idea which may work for you. Try boiling water for a while in your kitchen before you start with the lye. This will create a mini environment that is quite humid and will help with the static....

I live in the same area as Lindy and I have never had that happen. It was kind of creepy to read about the lye moving out of the container by itself.

I pour mine into a hard plastic container that I use just for the lye and then I always mix it and let it cool outside out of harms way just like xyxoxy.

Wow, thanks for all the words of wisdom and support. It certainly helps knowing what happened to try to avoid it in the future. I was wearing FLEECE as well!!!!!! :shock: There was nothing in the books to warn about that.

Wow, there's always stuff to learn! I never knew this could happen (like Lindy and Jody, I live in a humid climate). Those are great static-reducing tips, carebear.

I forgot to mention, too , that I was working with crystals instead of flakes as Kellistarr asked. It would be nice to get flakes for the next time but now I've already got an open container of lye crystals so I suppose it should be used up.

OnceUponATime said:
There was nothing in the books to warn about that.

Yep. There are some good soaping books out there, but soaping books in general can be pretty sketchy on certain info., that's for sure. For me, the best places for really good info are the soaping forums. You just can't beat the accumulated, up-to-date wisdom from so many wise soapers to be found on a forum compared to a dated book written by one person, as good as the person and book may be. The forums are where I found out about static lye and what to do about it when I first stared soaping 2 years ago. I can't recommend a good perusal on the forums highly enough. They're the tops in my 'book'. :wink:

IrishLass :)

OnceUponATime said:
I was wearing FLEECE as well!!!!!! :shock: There was nothing in the books to warn about that.
that one I learned by experience - and there was outdoor nudity involved. someday if you all are REAL nice I'll tell my tale...

Oh Carebear - you just can't leave us hanging like that........this is truly a need to know story - I just know it!!!!!!!!!
scoutingf.gif

Please...................................................................

that one I learned by experience - and there was outdoor nudity involved. someday if you all are REAL nice I'll tell my tale...[/quote]

That is funny!! I had a similar experence when a wasp went up my pants :shock:

PHOTOS

carebear="OnceUponATime said:
I was wearing FLEECE as well!!!!!! :shock: There was nothing in the books to warn about that.
that one I learned by experience - and there was outdoor nudity involved. someday if you all are REAL nice I'll tell my tale...[/quote]

:lol: Taking the soap bucket around now to bribe you into telling your story :lol: :lol: :lol:
PHOTOS !

Latest posts

Back