Saponins?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
Hi all, I have already asked this to the aromatherapy/herb group, with little or no success. Maybe someone here has more info. I would like to know if i can add powdered "Soapwort" to my handmilled Goat's Milk soap, to increase the lather. If so how much and where would a person buy it in Canada? Thanks Trish

Trish said:
Hi all, I have already asked this to the aromatherapy/herb group, with little or no success. Maybe someone here has more info. I would like to know if i can add powdered "Soapwort" to my handmilled Goat's Milk soap, to increase the lather. If so how much and where would a person buy it in Canada? Thanks Trish

Hi Trish....I don't know.....but if you want more lather, you can also add sugar (dissolved in a little water and mixed with your lye water). :)

Where it's handmilling, it wouldn't be subject to the lye monster, so I'd say try it. Wish I knew of a source.

Re- Saponins

Thanks Mike, would you have any idea how much sugar to add to a 30 bar batch, which = 6 LBS? Also whenwould you suggest to add it, before melting or after with the essential oils?

Re: Re- Saponins

Trish said:
Thanks Mike, would you have any idea how much sugar to add to a 30 bar batch, which = 6 LBS? Also whenwould you suggest to add it, before melting or after with the essential oils?

I use 1 teaspoon sugar per pound oils.....so that would be 2 tablespoons.

Add it to some of your measured water and dissolve thoroughly. Then mix your lye with the remaining water, and mix in the sugar. If you add it to the lye water directly, you will get hard clumps.

Back