Sanitary zap testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
I have been reading the thread with a lot of zap testing jokes and giggling.

Since I sell soap I want to keep them as sanitary as possible. I do not need to zap test often since my recipes are well tested by now. Once in a while a new FO or technique will make me doubtful, so I zap test, but never lick the soap.

I put a small amount of filtered water in a container. Immerse my clean finger in the water, rub the surface of the soap with it, and carefully place soapy finger in my tongue (just a little, or ouch!). This way saliva never touches the soap. I know that bacteria cannot live in the high alkaline environment, but still, I would prefer myself to buy soap with no saliva....

How do you zap test your soaps?

I zap test on ends pieces that I don't intend to give away. And I always seem to have one cupcake or cake piece that gets smooshed or something that I can zap test.

I scrape off a small piece and test it. Although, sometimes my soap is so soft that a little adheres to the mold when I remove it so I'll test it.

Hazel said:
I scrape off a small piece and test it. Although, sometimes my soap is so soft that a little adheres to the mold when I remove it so I'll test it.

Just so that little peice doesn't stick to your tongue.....yuck! Hey......this soap is MINE!!!!! That is why I am licking it!

I intend to sell my soaps if I get any offers after I give them away as gifts. I lick end pieces mostly but can't guarantee that I haven't licked a piece I'll give away.

I like all my soap top to bottom.... :mrgreen:

Okay seriously, it is so seldom that I need to zap test since I've been doing this for quite a while, but when I do I just zap test one of the bars by wetting a finger, rub the soap and then taste that....

To zap test, I stick the entire bar of soap in my mouth like this:
[attachment=0:2qg2fs7r]image.jpg[/attachment:2qg2fs7r]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 231
Yes. That's exactly how I test my soaps. And then I wrap them up all pretty and give them away. He, he, he.

Hausfrau007 said:
With lye heavy soaps, I leave my teeth in the bar as embeds.
Quit stealin' my ideas!
I replace the teeth I lost through "teeth embed-tation" with fresh white soap "teeth". I have a GORGEOUS smile now! Like this > :D

Do you use 100% coconut oil for the embed-tation? I'm thinking harder teeth... right?

I think I would experiment with a higher lye discount. Think toast or waffles or corn on the cob: you'll save on butter.

Shawnee and Esther, you are too funny! Now, I hot process, so I am wondering about the zap test in cold process. The soap has to cure anyway, so why not wait to zap test? Seems it would be "safer." Enquiring minds want to know!!

I've recently zap tested after ten hours, then after 24, then once more after 48 hours to learn about lye absorption. You see, I can read about it on the Internet all I want, but to be sure, I HAVE to perform the testing myself (please don't follow my example). So now that I learned a very painful yet valuable lesson, I will only lick my soaps after 48 hours. If I still get zapped after that, I know I have a problem.

Alchemy this is one funny picture!

Hausfrau007 thanks for sharing your time zap experiment! I agree with 48 hours as a wait time, at least for CP. LS is 'done' after the bake or cook, just like HP is 'done'.

Back