Sam's brand of olive oil..maybe a problem?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sewforpeace

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problem with the OO from Sams...the Great Value brand? I bought it instead of the Bertolli brand that now comes in smaller containers.

I have been using Members Mark from Sams with no problem at all.

Thanks all...now I can buy with confidence. Sure was not wanting the added expense of the other brand.

I wondered that too when I started shopping at Sams, because until then every olive oil I'd used was "greenish" like olives are supposed to be, and I was afraid that because the members mark was yellow instead that it might not be as good. I still don't know what that says about it, but I haven't had any problems with it, and the there is no noticable difference in my soap.

dcornett said:
I wondered that too when I started shopping at Sams, because until then every olive oil I'd used was "greenish" like olives are supposed to be, and I was afraid that because the members mark was yellow instead that it might not be as good. I still don't know what that says about it, but I haven't had any problems with it, and the there is no noticable difference in my soap.

The more "virgin" the olive oil is, the greener it is. The olive oils I use for soapmaking have all been yellowish, because I use "pure olive oil", not EVOO. Here is a link to the definitions of various types of olive oils:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/OliveOil.htm

Thanks kelleyaynn for that link, makes sense. I kind of figured the lighter color indicated a "lesser" grade of oil. I do cook with olive oil alot, so I believe I'll stick to the green for that. LOL :wink:

dcornett said:
Thanks kelleyaynn for that link, makes sense. I kind of figured the lighter color indicated a "lesser" grade of oil. I do cook with olive oil alot, so I believe I'll stick to the green for that. LOL :wink:

You're welcome! I thought I knew what the different types of OO's were, but thought I'd do a little Google search, and found out (gasp!) I was wrong. :roll: What did we ever do before Google???

Latest posts

Back