Salt water in Saponification

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lankan

Reaction score
Hi,

I watched a YouTube video on industrial soap making in India. Apparently the said company is famous for making soaps scented with sandalwood essential oil. They say that the saponification is carried out in the mix of palm oil, lye and salt water. I wonder what could be the benefit of presence of salt in the lye water, can we also consider adding salt in CP bar soap making. what could be the potential benefits.

Brine (dissolved salt) soaps are paler, harder and last longer, but salt reduces lather.

A little salt is nice, a lot might require that the soap recipe be adjusted and the cure time extended.

There are also salt bars. Generally 80-100% CO with a 15-20% SF. Then add 35-100% salt to the medium traced batter. I've not done a brine bar yet but believe it's 25% salt that can be dissolved into the water before adding your lye. If I'm wrong someone will correct met. I love salt bars though.

The salt in the video is used to carry away excess lye, it also removes glycerin and other impurities. Google salting out soap and you can find more info.
Its not a soap I care for much, I like glycerin to stay in my soap.
If you want a salt soap, a brine soap is a easier way and its nice.

Latest posts

Back