Salt/Spa Bars... Any tips?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no. Yes, that is the difference as to how you get the salt into the soap but no, its more then just how to add the salt. Brine bars have a much lower salt % then a salt bar. You can easily add 17oz salt to your recipe at trace but there is no way you will ever get 17oz salt dissolved in 12oz water for a brine bar.

The way I look at it, brine bars are made by using a "brine", which by definition is "water saturated with salt", which to me means 'water that has as much dissolved salt in it as it can take before the salt starts precipitating out'.

Salt bars, on the other hand, are not made with a brine. The salt is added 'as is' (un-dissolved) into the batter at trace or right before your pour the batter into your mold. The amount of salt used in salt bars is up to the individual soaper.

As far as how much salt is needed for a bar to 'officially' be considered a 'salt bar' is up to interpretation. I've personally never heard of there being an 'official' minimum amount, but speaking only for myself, I do not consider a batch made with just a teaspoon or two ppo of salt to be a salt bar. I feel there needs to be enough salt than that to set it apart in a very noticeable/tangible way from a normal bar. For what it's worth, my salt bars contain 25% salt as per my total oil amount.

IrishLass :)

Here's just one example, my standard recipes. I make almost nothing but brine and salt bars, and a few 'regulars' for felting.

Regular (for felted soaps): I usually use sodium lactate instead, as they have to be soft enough to needle felt. Or, at most, a heaping tablespoon of salt for a 4-lb batch.

Soleseife (brine) soap, my standard. I add 25% fine sea salt (to water weight) to my lye solution and make sure it's totally mixed into the liquid solution before adding it to oils. I always add my fragrance to warmed oils before doing anything else. CP recipe of your choice, in my experience whatever successful recipe you want to use works fine.

Salt bars I use roughly 75% salt to oils weight. Oils 80% coconut, usually 15% apricot, 5% castor. I add fragrance to my oils first and make sure everything is mixed nicely. Mix salt into the batter at barely emulsion and stir, stir, stir though the entire pouring process.

Last edited:
Well I did it. I really did it this time. I went with 80% coconut oil, 15% apricot kernel oil and 5% castor. I added 20 oz of salt to the final batter and my FO which accelerated my batter so the salt would s.tay suspended. I pour it into my mold, waited 2 hours, removed it from the mold as a nice firm block and then I cut it. It is now resting comfortably on my drying rack. I have no idea if this will work, but it is what it is. In 8 weeks we will see.

Robert

Sounds perfect, I suspect you will love them. One thing I never saw mentioned is salt bar really do best with a longer cure, I personally like at least 4 months but 6 is even better.
Of course, they can be used at 6 weeks and many people do but if you don't care for them, try again in a few more weeks. My fvorite salt bars are over 2 years, they get better and better with age:)

I plan to use them in stages 6 weeks, 8 week, etc and see how they do.

Thanks every one for the help.

Robert

You'd think this would be obvious, but based on the reactions in my house...

Don't use your salt bar if you have cuts.

I love salt bars, but I'm now the only one that will use them. *Everyone* that lives with me has attempted to use them immediately after getting shaving nicks, having tiny cuts on their hands, or on a massive sunburn. DH won't even pick one up anymore and looks at them with a level of dread I've never before witnessed from him. Sigh.

I think you'll love them though.... they are sooo good at 3+ months.

Latest posts

Back