Salt soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am planning to try for the first time a salt soap with other herbal ingredients.

The herbals I normally add at the end of a HP process so that they don't interract with the lye. Just I have never done a salt soap and I am worried that doing HP it may become too hard too quickly (from what I read).

Question is: how should I go about it ?

My current thought is to mix all ingredients together with the salt and add them at the end of the cooking process, just after the EO and superfat.

Just I am not sure if the salt reacts and gets properly integrated into the soap if added at the end.

i made soame salt bars and did them HP and they came out so nice. i added the salt at the end of the cook and it worked perfectly. lust make sure you use the full liquid amount to help keep the soap fluid enough to put into the mold, stir really well and work fast
:D

I just made a salt soap. I added my FO at the end with the salt and proceeded quickly but in the same manner I typically make my CP soap. I am new to soaping so I am not one to give advice but for me, the process was a lot less painful than the scary stories. But I was definitely more on top of my soaping game knowing one slip could ruin the whole batch. The bars turned out lovely, after banging them out of the molds. Salt soap sets up fast and I will act faster on the cutting next time. I cannot wait for the next batch, salt soap is awesome! Good luck!

Hi! I also just made some HP salt bars. I added my eo stirred then added my salt as the very last thing. So you could add your herbs to the salt and do everything in one go. It wasn't as hard as people said it was going to be to HP salt bars. The only thing I noticed was that after I put my soap in the mold, I was taking it out and cutting it after only 10 mins!! It got hard super fast! But they came out great!! Have fun and don't forget to post pics. :D

many of us use individual molds to do salt soaps, that takes away the having to watch it like a hawk to cut. i always HP my salt bars, just so that the cure is a little less than with CP'ing them.

Just wondering, since we're on the subject, do CP salt bars have the regular 4-6 wk cure? I just made some too, and I can't wait to try them.

I let mine cure for at least 4 weeks. They really do seem to get better with a cure. I tried one of mine at 2 weeks and then later at 4 weeks. 4 weeks seemed more bubbly and milder to me.

saltydog said:
Just wondering, since we're on the subject, do CP salt bars have the regular 4-6 wk cure? I just made some too, and I can't wait to try them.

I was told to wait 8 weeks, I think I made it to 7 and it was worth it! The bars are fabulous!

turbo said:
what oils sre used in salt bars?

Mike
Mike I use 95% Coconut oil and 5% Castor oil and add 70% salt. I pour mine into muffin moulds so I don't have to worry about cutting them.

What do they feel like? Is it a scrubby feel in the tub? And with all the CO and salt, are they not drying? I think I'm sensitive to CO as I can go super low on it in a recipe, and I still find that it's drying to my skin.

I superfat by 20% to counter the drying affect of the coconut oil. The salt bars feel fabulous ... they leave my skin feeling rejuvenated!

I use plain kitchen salt in my soaps.

Fell asleep on my salt bars last night. Mine are so SLOW to trace and they NEVER set up within a couple hours like everyone always says. I tried to stay up for them. :roll: Crumbled when cut. I need my head examined. When will I learn?? Individual molds or don't do it unless you're going to be hanging out for HOURS waiting for these stupid things. I don't even like them anymore I'm so mad. :x

I superfat by 20% to counter the drying affect of the coconut oil. The salt bars feel fabulous ... they leave my skin feeling rejuvenated!

Actually, I was wondering if the salt doesn't produce a drying effect.

And 20% superfat doesn't make the soap greasy, and reduce the cleansing effect too much ? I always had the impression that would happen if I went over 10% superfat.

Actually, I was wondering if the salt doesn't produce a drying effect.
No ... it has a hydrating affect.
And 20% superfat doesn't make the soap greasy, and reduce the cleansing effect too much ?
No to greasy and no to reducing cleansing. Salt bars work as an exfoliant.
When you make salt bars with CP do they gel?
I encourage mine to gel, the same as I make my CP soap bars.

Best advice I was given, was to use individual moulds. If you use a log mould, you need to 'watch' it harden ... takes about two hours ... and cut as soon as it hardens, even though it may still be warm.

My recipe works well and I have time to swirl colour! Love them!
LavenderSaltBars2-500.jpg

Peppermintsaltbars2-500.jpg

Latest posts

Back