Salt soap....again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe IrishLass' recipe is 100% CO, 100% coconut milk, 25% salt... She will be along sooner or later to confirm/correct! :)

Okay, so baby was down by 9:30 so decided to go ahead and make salt soap. 100% coconut oil, 100% milk using split method: 50% coconut milk in with oils, 50% water with lye & same amount of powedered coconut cream into the oils. 80% salt (I like it salty!!!).

I thought coconut soap was supposed to be really white. Cause right now it's neon yellow!!!! I tried to do a green (parsley) swirl but you can't see the green due to the yellow. I sure hope that yellow calms down. Is it the milk? I used Wake Up Rosemary FO from BB. I didn't think it had any discoloration. Oh well. We'll see I guess.

I'll probably be up at 3 or so for a feeding. I can check on it then. Going to bed.

Hello all, I'm new here and to soap making (I have not even made my 1st batch yet but I'm already addicted!!.) I just wanted to know what is the amazing "IrishLass Salt Bar" recipe? Thanks so much!! Now I'll go back to soap stalking!! :D

I'm so glad that some people are liking it as much as I do. :) It's very simple, actually:

100% coconut oil
13% superfat
25% salt as per weight of oils
Coconut milk or goat milk as my liquid amount

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, do you use any sodium lactate or anything? I think the bars are hard enough, but just wondered...

Anyone have a fave scent or combo for these? So far I have only used Peak's Ocean and it is wonderful...

is it worth using it in the other bars? Is it primarily for hardening the soaps? Sorry veering off the subject!

It adds a little extra hardness to my bars and also adds what I call a 'creamy oomph' to my lather- much like what coconut milk and goat milk add to soap. It also makes HP soap batter pour more smoothly and makes unmolding so much easier if you are using individual, decorative plastic molds.

If you are using a log or slab-type mold that necessitates cutting the soap into bars, then you will want to unmold just as soon as the soap re-hardens back up from the gel stage, but is still quite warm to the touch. If you wait until it cools, you're done for as far as any cutting goes. These things become too hard to cut once cooled.

If you are using individual or compartment-type molds which don't necessitate any cutting, then you don't have to worry. You can unmold any time as long as the soap is good and hard.

cutting

I cut mine about an hour after pouring it... it was mostly hard, some partially squishy parts, but I wanted to go to bed! If I would have waited to the morning it would have been too hard. It worked out great, the squishy parts cured up fine... and it's pretty! White with purple swirl, with peppermint EO! Now to figure out how to post pics...

I've looked at several salt soap recipes and I cannot find exactly what kind of salt is acceptable for making salt soap. The only thing I have learned is that you absolutely do not want to use dead sea salt. But what salt is acceptable? Table salt? Kosher salt? Pickling salt? Ice cream salt? LOL!!

I used fine sea salt that I purchased from a grocery store, I just bought some more of it at walmart. I wouldn't use the ice cream salt, I think it is pretty coarse (and also dirty, have you ever looked at the water that comes off an ice cream maker? Yuck!). You can use table salt or kosher salt. HTH

You don't have to use fancy salt or anything like that. Plain table salt like Morton's from the grocery store will work just fine. Like new12soap, I myself use fine sea salt from the grocery store. Just stay away from Dead Sea salt and Epsom salts. They'll turn your soap to mush since they are not primarily sodium chloride.

Hi Irishlass, what is the procedure for this soap....in other words, how do you make it?
Thanks!

Thank you, new12soap and Irish Lass.

Irish Lass, I'm excited to try your recipe! I made one the other day and I didn't superfat it, well, except for the usual 5%, and I think I added to much salt. 10 Oz to a pound of oil. Is there anything I could do with this bar? I guess it is usable.....but not the best.

alabama49 said:
Hi Irishlass, what is the procedure for this soap....in other words, how do you make it?
Thanks!

Search "Salt Bars" there are some great recipes on here... or search the web... some other great recipes. It's mostly Coconut Oil, with some others to blend in... depending on what your preference is, also there is a variety of information on the % of salt to oil ratio on here. Definitely do your research... there is alot of great info on here to help tho! :)

alabama49 said:
Thanks!
It's very easy. You just make your soap as you'd normally do for any CP recipe, only you hand-stir salt into it at trace (I like adding my salt at medium to heavy trace so that the salt stays suspended), and then you pour into your mold or molds.

Latest posts

Back