Salad, Fruit & Vegetable Wash ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
So, I came across this website that sells all sorts of "organic" products, and saw something they call "Salad, Fruit & Vegetable Wash"

http://bentleyorganic.com/products/home-care/index.asp#
... aaaand they say:
Salad, Fruit & Vegetable Wash
Our certified organic solution designed for washing fresh produce. Proven to kill bacteria such as E-Coli, Salmonella and Listeria as well as rinsing off chemical residues from fertilizers and pesticides on fruit and vegetables.
The ingredeints are:
Ingredients
Aqua, Malic Acid, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Aloe Vera Powder *

* Certified Organically Grown Ingredient
Now, my question is: which of those ingredients kills E-Coli, Salmonella and Listeria? Lactic acid? Really?

I'm not sure a vegetable/fruit wash is supposed to kill anything. I think it's supposed to just wash off more dirt (and hence germs) than a plain water rinse. Most organic growers advise using plain white vinegar for the same effect as a commercial veggie wash. Cheaper and just as effective.

What scares me is the thought that E-coli enters leafy greens systemically. Can't wash that off.

Thanks BakingNana :)
Yes, I know what you mean. I use vinegar too and I thinks it works well.
What puzzles me is this phrase:
Proven to kill bacteria such as E-Coli, Salmonella and Listeria
I am just wondering which of those ingredients does that, if any.

Bubbly Buddha said:
I am just wondering which of those ingredients does that, if any.

Yeah, me too. Is it just the friction of the actual washing?

Good question. I don't see how any of those ingredients would kill bacteria. Anyone more familiar with these things out there?

Latest posts

Back