safflower (higholec) question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalziel

Reaction score
Safflower (high olec) question!
I am looking for a good recipe, to use this oil in.

I am going to be making a 70evoo 20coco76 10castor batch which will be my first batch. I will not be using safflower oil in this batch.

but:

I have 16 fl oz of safflower high olec oil. I dont want it to spoil, and I want to use it, but i cannot seem to get the soap calc to show any beneficial use of it- might as well use oils from wal mart.

can I mix it with evoo and get a decent hard nice bar? Should I make a crisco bar and add 20% safflower oil?

When and how have you all used high olec safflower oil?

Any recipes would be helpful

thanks!
dalz

high oleic safflower and or sunflower closely resemble the fatty acid profile of olive oil. but do not produce the same hardness in soap when used in place of olive oil as just olive oil does after a long cure. ( just my opinion )

i think most use it because it may be more accessiable or less costly then olive. or use it in conjuction with olive so that the olive amount can be reduced, again helping with keeping the cost down.

it has a longer shelf life then high linoelic safflower. so you don't have to use it all at once. you could sub out say 5-10% of your olive and replace it with the safflower to use it up.

Most oils provide some benefit. But, yes, after about my 12th batch of soap, I can see how olive oil and my need to use it in my recipes can be, well, costly. I've started to use "filler " oils to keep me going with my experimentations. People are asking for my soap and I don't mind making it, but, it ain't cheap!

I've used Rice bran, Canola oil and Corn oil. I'm a huge fan of Corn Oil. I used that in my very first batch because I was afraid to use 21 ounces of my coveted ( :D ) olive oil, when I knew that I was going to botch the batch anyway. I didn't botch the batch and 2 1/2 months later, that bar of soap can't stop lathering. It's an almost whitish color and it feels great on my skin.

First and foremost, I want my soap to be quality and good for my skin and others. But, I don't find anything wrong with using "filler" oils as long as it's being balanced with other compatible oils to make a nice, hard, lathering bar of good ole' soap!

Latest posts

Back