Rosewater as dilution liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herackonchiasa

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever diluted their liquid soap base with 100% rose water ? I dont mean using it to dissolve koh in. I mean having the finished paste dissolve in an arbitrary amount of rose water , with rosewater being the only liquid the paste is being dissolved in. Anyone ? ?? & if you dont mind, may I know the results?

I asked because I made a base comprising of coconut, mct, and castor oils only. I divided the base into three 19oz batches , and added 11oz each of coconut milk, rosewater, and distilled water, respectively. With some ps80 for the coconut milk dilution. An experiment. But I wanted to see if anyone else had done it before.

Anytime you use anything other than distilled or similar water for dilution you are creating an environment for rancidity and growth of nasties. I would not use milks at all for dilution- all or part. Botanicals are "bug food" too - so be very careful and consider preservatives.

Anytime you use anything other than distilled or similar water for dilution you are creating an environment for rancidity and growth of nasties. I would not use milks at all for dilution- all or part. Botanicals are "bug food" too - so be very careful and consider preservatives.

Speaking of that I did forget to put that I used optiphen as a preservative . In all three batches. I was so focused on the dilution part of the experiment when explaining.

Please note that optiphen may not be an appropriate preservative for liquid soap as it is currently listed by the manufacturer as being effective up to a pH of 8. Liquid Soap will have a pH that is higher than that.

Please note that optiphen may not be an appropriate preservative for liquid soap as it is currently listed by the manufacturer as being effective up to a pH of 8. Liquid Soap will have a pH that is higher than that.

What are good preservatives for ph above 8?

Suttocide A is the only one that I am aware of in the US that is effective in a higher pH (up to 12). I have been told that the formaldehyde releasers (liquid germall) would also work, even though the manufacturer also indicates an upper pH limit of 8. Note that Suttocide A will react with citral (a component in many citrus EO's and in various FO's) and will turn your soap into varying shades of pink.

Suttocide A is the only one that I am aware of in the US that is effective in a higher pH (up to 12). I have been told that the formaldehyde releasers (liquid germall) would also work, even though the manufacturer also indicates an upper pH limit of 8. Note that Suttocide A will react with citral (a component in many citrus EO's and in various FO's) and will turn your soap into varying shades of pink.

Thank you so much . Knowledge is power. Off to buy some now !

Latest posts

Back