Rose petals?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
I'm going to consult the forum before my next "oh let's try that!" experiment, seeing that I thought lavender buds would hold up in CP soap. I cannot seem to find any threads that answer my question.

So the hubs got me beautiful roses for Valentine's Day. They are beginning to droop because I'm horrible with keeping cut flowers looking fresh. I was thinking about drying the petals and making some infused oil use in my lotion bars (currently have chamomile steeping for that purpose).

Will I regret trying to CP with dried rose petals? I was thinking about drying them and grinding into a powder, and adding at trace. After the lavender buds experiment (and why I didn't search this forum before hand is beyond me), I don't want any more mouse dropping soap, so if I at least grind them I should get brown specked soaps, right?

I made some soaps with dried rose petals. They turned brown and I really didn't like the way it looked. Maybe if you colored the soap it wouldn't look so bad. I hardly want to give this brown soap away.

I think the only ones who keep their colour are calendula flowers. I dried my own lemon verbena which is a dark green now that its dried and put it in a rebatch, its still dark green. Just looks like dried tea leaves.

Will I regret trying to CP with dried rose petals? I was thinking about drying them and grinding into a powder, and adding at trace. After the lavender buds experiment (and why I didn't search this forum before hand is beyond me), I don't want any more mouse dropping soap, so if I at least grind them I should get brown specked soaps, right?

I made a couple of batches with dried powdered red, pink and white rose petals. The dye color got away from me a bit on this (too bright) but it was still a hit at Christmas and I have a standing order for more from one co-worker. Rose FO with a hit of Lavender. I call it "Rose Tyler" if there are any sci-fi geeks out there :).

Batch 10a Rose Tyler - 600.jpg

Yay Doctor Who references! The soap looks wonderful, I have a friend who would love it.

Your specs stayed red! Thats my hope! I have all my petals laid out on newspaper to dry...so it will be a while before I can make an infusion or soap with them. Of course I will keep you posted!

By this weekend my petals were dry (the plus side to cold weather, very dry air!), so into the oil they went. I kept out a handful that I am going to crush and try making a pencil line with for some fun tomorrow night after work.

One strategy I've seen is to put the dried petals on top of your CP soap after you've poured it. The parts that sink into the soap will brown but the rest stays true to color. The tops can be super pretty with rose petals on it. I've also seen people do this with dried rose buds.

I made a couple of batches with dried powdered red, pink and white rose petals. The dye color got away from me a bit on this (too bright) but it was still a hit at Christmas and I have a standing order for more from one co-worker. Rose FO with a hit of Lavender. I call it "Rose Tyler" if there are any sci-fi geeks out there :).

View attachment 1241
Hello, your soap looks great. I realize it's been quite sometime since your post, but I was wondering if the powdered petals left any scent in your soap? because the color looks great and if they do leave some scent, I think it would be a great idea to use powdered rose petals as natural colorants and fragrants in cp soaps.

Hello, your soap looks great. I realize it's been quite sometime since your post, but I was wondering if the powdered petals left any scent in your soap? because the color looks great and if they do leave some scent, I think it would be a great idea to use powdered rose petals as natural colorants and fragrants in cp soaps.

This post is 5 years old. The OP hasn’t been here in a long time

Latest posts

Back