Rock garden soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So here's my most recent batch--pumice soap colored with indigo, AC, and TD. Fragranced with tea tree and rosemary EOs. This time I managed to partially tame my steamroller instinct while I was working with the batter and getting it in the mold...

However, when I went to unmold it today it couldn't decide if I was working with it too late or too early! It also stuck a bit in the corners on the ends. :( That's after me using mineral oil on the corners, using 75% hard oils, and adding SL to the batch. Bah. Then when I was cutting it (just after unmolding), it crumbled at the edges as if it were TOO hard. (Of course, having a wire that I couldn't tighten any further didn't help--all of the shattered parts were underneath where I could get that wire to on its own.)

Anyways, had indigo-only for the main color, and then did two accents, one darkened with AC and the other lightened with TD. I poured part of the main color in, layered on the dark accent, layered on the white accent, and then did a drop swirl with the rest of the main batch.

It's a homely soap, but it smells good and I'm sure it'll do what I need it to after a good cure. :)

Also, I didn't rinse my lye water pitcher immediately last night (and had the spoon I mix the lye in with sitting in it). I typically will rinse out the lye containers, and then leave the batter-covered stuff to clean up the next day (after wiping out what I can). Yesterday, after I finished wiping them out I was just DONE and so didn't finish rinsing the pitcher... And the indigo left in it ended up staining the pitcher and spoon. Whoops! Just means I need to hit the dollar store before my next batch, and reserve those for future indigo-in-water batches.

001_zpsnajojc4h.jpg

002_zpsa4ytnobq.jpg

Those are certainly not homely! I really love the look of them. And if they are rocky soaps, well then crumbling corners goes with the theme :)

I've only had that crumbly problem in non-salt soaps when I didn't gel, so now everything goes on the dog whelping mat if the house is below 75 deg. Not gelling loaves doesn't seem to work well for me...

I think they are very pretty! Nice veining going through them. I usually get large swirls no delicate stuff here as I'm not patient enough most times. :)

Thanks all! It's nice to hear that they aren't as bad as it felt like last night. lol I was just so frustrated with them (and with my cutter too).

Those are certainly not homely! I really love the look of them. And if they are rocky soaps, well then crumbling corners goes with the theme :)

I've only had that crumbly problem in non-salt soaps when I didn't gel, so now everything goes on the dog whelping mat if the house is below 75 deg. Not gelling loaves doesn't seem to work well for me...

Well, between the color and the crumbles and the pumice, there wasn't really any other theme I could go with! lol

Yeah, the house tends to go between mid-60s to low-70s, depending on how much Dad is turning down the heat. I really thought it would gel for sure, between soaping at warmer temps than normal for me, added sugar in the lye-water, and getting it nice and insulated. I guess I really should get the heating pad out and get soaps on it right away.

I think they are very pretty! Nice veining going through them. I usually get large swirls no delicate stuff here as I'm not patient enough most times. :)

See, for me the impatience is how I get the delicate swirls! I tend to start trying to do colorwork before my batter is thick enough!

I love the colours and your delicate swirls. Each one is a play of shade and light.

Back