Removing hardened soap from HDPE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperry

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used an HDPE mold (the type with the “rough” surface… not the super smooth stuff) with both CP and M&P? Is it easier to remove M&P from this plastic than it is CP? Thanks.

I've never used this particular type of mold, but I do have a few plastic molds that have small intricate designs that can be tricky to wash. I hand wash all my molds, and I start by holding them under super hot running water. Then I take a clean sponge and scrub a little, then back under the hot water. The hot water melts the hardened soap and the sponge helps remove it. I also sometimes set my mold in the sink and fill it with hot water and let it sit to loosen the dried soap. That is for M&P soap though, I've have made any CP yet.

My wording was ambiguous. Sorry. You have two identicle molds made of rough surfaced HDPE. You put CP in one and M&P in the other. After the soap sets, which bars will be easier to remove from the mold. Thanks.

I would guess the M&P. I always coat my HDPE molds when using them for cp soap, which really sticks in these molds.

Thanks, lsg. I'm designing my own molds for my M&P, and have come up with a couple interesting ideas that I thought might work for CP... but I've heard CP is a lot tougher to remove. I am guessing that is why most people pour loafs and then cut? (Rather than use molds with dividers?) Are your molds the textured HDPE, or the super smooth? M&P comes off the textured fairly easy, whereas getting it off the super smooth is a bit of a battle.

Two of my log molds are textured, but the liners for my vertical mold are smooth and they stick also.

Latest posts

Back