Red wine facial soap w/ oat flour - Recipe advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliab86

Reaction score
Hello! I'm pretty new to soap making and wanted some advice on a face soap recipe. I got the idea from a face mask/scrub I've been making. The SoapCalc recipe is attached.

I'm thinking of rounding the lye down to 82 gm. I'm using gms because this is a small test batch. The coconut oil % may be a little high, but I don't want the bar to be too soft. Would the 15% lye discount combat the drying effect of the CO?

I'm not going to add any EOs, FOs, or other additives except 1 Tbsp of oat flour. Not planning on selling my soaps any time soon (if ever). I just love the experimenting.

Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated for this recipe. This forum is such a fantastic resource.

Face soap.jpg

I'm sorry, the picture is just too small for me to easily make anything out. Maybe you can copy & paste the recipe?

Sorry about that :oops: Here is the recipe:

Olive Oil: 350 gm (53.85%)
Coconut Oil: 200 gm (30.77%)
Grapeseed Oil: 60 gm (9.23%)
Castor Oil: 40 gm (6.15%)

Water: 247 gm
Lye: 82.4 gm
Lye Discount: 15%

Hm, sorry for such a delay in responding. Did you try the recipe? It looks pretty interesting. I'd give it a go if you haven't already. Let me know if you did/do.

I attached the picture. Hope it works :) This was just after the cut. The bars have turned a very deep red since.

Before I could do the above recipe, I received new oils in the mail. The recipe changed to:

25% Palm oil
25% Coconut oil
15% Avocado oil
10% Olive oil
10% Grapeseed oil
10% Sweet Almond oil
5% Castor oil

15% Superfat
Wine for water and 3 Tbsps of oat flour and tea tree and lavender EOs

The bars have cured for 4 weeks and I tried one a few days ago. I love it! It doesn't leave my face too dry or too oily and the oat flour is nice as an exfoliant.

I set one bar aside not to use, to see how it ages. If it ages well, I'll definitely keep this recipe.

Wine soap.jpg

Thank you! I just used red wine. I boiled and reduced it, subtracted the weight from the total weight of the liquid. Added the wine to the oils. I replaced the rest of the liquid with water and used that to dissolve my lye.

Thank you! I just used red wine. I boiled and reduced it, subtracted the weight from the total weight of the liquid. Added the wine to the oils. I replaced the rest of the liquid with water and used that to dissolve my lye.
Interesting! It looks lovely.

Latest posts

Back