Recipe Feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
What do y'all think of this recipe? I'm trying to formulate a "luxury" bar.

Screenshot (41).jpg

I think the recipe looks good! My only question would be on the number of oils. (Not that I think the formula is bad) I wonder if you want that many oils - just in case say it becomes something everyone wants. Do you feel comfortable mixing all those up if you needed to make 6 or 7 loaves at a time?

Understand I'm asking this because some of my older recipes use a lot of different oils and now I really don't like to make them. Of course I get lots of orders for them so make them I do - but now I wish I had kept it a little simpler.

Like I said I think the recipe looks good. I would say go for it, try the soap out and then I would try to alter the recipe to reduce oils. Make a small test batch and then compare it to the original to see if you notice any difference.

Again, if you feel comfortable about making it a lot then go for it and please ignore me. I am only speaking from my experience and what I wish I would have done.

Looks good!! Send one my way ;) hehe
When I try to make a "luxury" bar, I struggle to keep the cleansing low and hardness and bubbles high enough - so I'm impressed with yours!

I use Shea butter fairly frequently in my recipes and I've noticed it's a bit of a lather killer. I'm curious to see what this level of Shea will bring.

Give it more than the usual cure time with that much shea. I think you'll find that the lather, while still very creamy, will improve a lot after 8-10wks, or longer. Dunno why that is, and of course it depends on the oils it's paired with, but I have a recipe with that much shea that I absolutely adore after a good long cure, which I initially had been disappointed in when it didn't lather much at 4 weeks.

Give it more than the usual cure time with that much shea. I think you'll find that the lather, while still very creamy, will improve a lot after 8-10wks, or longer. Dunno why that is, and of course it depends on the oils it's paired with, but I have a recipe with that much shea that I absolutely adore after a good long cure, which I initially had been disappointed in when it didn't lather much at 4 weeks.

I usually use 5% Shea and there is still a difference in lather between those bars and my Shea-free bars after several months. Not identical recipes otherwise, mind you, but still noticeable enough that it makes me wonder if the Shea is really bringing enough to the party to make it worthwhile.

Different, yes. More creamy, but at 4wks, not much lather either creamy or bubbly. But at 8wks or older, it gets much better. And it's a totally different feel on the skin. Of course everyone likes different skin-feel.

Back