recipe advice needed asap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
ok so i want to make a shampoo bar as iv been using a mp one for the past few months and im running out so iv been searching online for past couple days trying to find one i like. wanted peoples opinions on this one iv found and anything you may change to improve it. or by all means if anyone has any recipes they have tried and tested then ill be open to suggestions on a whole new recipe. dont think it says it on the screen shot but its a goats milk recipe and the reason i picked this one is because its got beeswax in and being a beekeeper that is one the reasons i wanted to make soap in the first place. also this recipe is on the forum soap calc publicly so people can look at the entire recipe i dont know if you can link to that if you can i dont know how. thanks for any advice i was hoping to make this tomorrow (uk) so any swift advice is much appriciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181103-184809_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181103-184809_Chrome.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 25
There is an entire thread on here about shampoo bars. You will also find that many of us will not use them on our hair as it ruins it. Your recipe has way too much coconut even for a bath bar.

I read some place - you aren't supposed to even put coconut oil in any shampoo bar because it is soo drying.

There is an entire thread on here about shampoo bars. You will also find that many of us will not use them on our hair as it ruins it. Your recipe has way too much coconut even for a bath bar.

ok ill have a look in a minute. and i had a feeling that was too high an amount of coconut oil but i found that recipe online and liked it because of the beeswax and honey in it

Hey Chris,

The warnings on shampoo soap are fairly common (from anyone that has tried it).

The effect of the damage is similar to bleaching the hair multiple times - it eventually gets the same straw-like, dull look and eventually breaks from the damage.

A couple of thoughts ... some people with very fine, straight short hair seem to like it because the damage that the soap causes actually makes the hair a little stiffer and thicker and more likely to grip onto other hair, and the hair is cut short again before excessive damage is obvious.

I personally only know one person who successfully uses hair soap (their hair is in very tight ringlets and is about a foot long). Their hair soap has beeswax and honey in it. I've tried their soap (it's a cp soap), and adore the smell of it, but can't use the soap (I didn't persist past a few weeks with it). That persons sibling also cannot use the same soap (they persisted and ended up with short hair). I have no idea why this person I know is able to use it ... there must be some other things at play that I do not understand yet.

So ... the warnings come because most people end up with damaged hair over time (some to the point of having to cut it very short to remove the damage), but for whatever reason, a very small number of people have had some success.

... maybe ill just try some normal soap with beeswax in. can give it to some fellow club beekeepers to try out.
I wouldn't suggest giving it to anyone with long hair :)

thanks salted fig the shampoo bars were only going to be for me and my mum and sister we all have short hair and all of us already use shampoo bars. But ill look more into it before i go any further with that idea my thought process was that i have been ok with the mp shampoo bars i made so thought cp would also be ok if not better as there would be less chemicals ect in it. But will definatly do more research on the matters brought up. When i said normal beeswax soap to give out to club beekeepers i meant hand soap not shampoo soap (so i dont feel hair lenght would be a problem for them ;):cool::hippo: ) and for the reasons that had been mentioned before you came in with all the very useful information you did i had thought that would maybe keep me happy while i researched new shampoo bar recipes. I have wanted to make beeswax soap anyways as iv got a beehive and eventually want to make some soap with wax from that at some point so given the negatives mentioned i thought just normal beeswax soap would satisfy that urge lol
thank you for all the information now im better informed i definatly will go and research beeswax hand soap and hopefully find one i like so i can make it tomorrow/today given its 3am in England and i cant sleep :):shower:

M&P shampoo base that I have used has been a synthetic m&p base not one made as a lye soap first. It is total syndet. A good syndet shampoo bar is very nice and I use them exclusively, the biggest issue with them is they are expensive to make

Latest posts

Back