rebatch? Soap not mixed well, weird spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soaperjenn

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to soap making and I made a big batch of soap with lemongrass EO. I didn't mix it well. I kind of knew it when I poured the soap but it was getting thick and hard to pour so I just tried to get it in the mold. Now that I took it out to cut there are some weird spots which look like they're from the EO not being mixed in. Is it possible to rebatch this?

thank you!

Please post your recipe and method with photo so that others can see your problem and might be able to help. Also, as this is your first post go to the Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Yes, it is possible to re-batch, especially if you do it soon after the soap is made. I use an old food processor with a shredding blade to grate my soap before re-batching. You will probably lose the scent during the re-batch. I find the method in the following link is a good one for re-batching.
https://pvsoap.com/re-batch-or-hand-milled-soap/

Just, FYI, lemongrass EO tends to accelerate trace in CP soap.
Also, if you're a new soap maker, you may want to consider small batches (8-16 oz of oils), until you have more experience. That was some of the best advice I got as a new CP soap maker. I still make small batches for all new recipes or processes.

Just, FYI, lemongrass EO tends to accelerate trace in CP soap.
Also, if you're a new soap maker, you may want to consider small batches (8-16 oz of oils), until you have more experience. That was some of the best advice I got as a new CP soap maker. I still make small batches for all new recipes or processes.

Thank you! That's super helpful :)
I just ordered a smaller mold so I can test things going forward.

Do all EO's accelerate trace?

Do all EO's accelerate trace?
No, they don't. The ones I use that accelerate in cold process are:
Cinnamon leaf
Clove leaf
Fir needle
Lemongrass
Ylang Ylang

The ones I use that do not accelerate are:
Bergamot
Cedarwood
Eucalyptus
Lavender 40/42
Lemon
Litsea
Orange valencia
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Spearmint
Tea Tree

If you buy your EOs online, most vendors will tell you if they accelerate. Also, they will tell you which ones to use sparingly because some can be skin irritants.
I primarily use EOs, many fragrance oils give me headaches. So it's no fun for me to make soap when I know I will probably end up with a headache.
For scents I can't get with an EO, I have tried some NaturesFlavors (nature identical) fragrance oils with mixed results. That is, some stick better than others and some just don't smell like I expected.

Gosh, I have. I wonder if there are different types / extraction processes?

I'm wondering if its the extraction. I've only used brambleberry's, I get moat my EO through them.

Lemongrass is know to be a very well behaved EO by most everyone who uses it. Are you using it alone or in a mix?

Strange, I use Brambleberry's as well. Off the top of my head I can't remember what other EOs I blended it with. Just remember the batter thickened really fast. I went back and looked at their site and lemongrass was the only one of those that said "accelerates in CP."

Hi. I'm new to soap making and I made a big batch of soap with lemongrass EO. I didn't mix it well. I kind of knew it when I poured the soap but it was getting thick and hard to pour so I just tried to get it in the mold. Now that I took it out to cut there are some weird spots which look like they're from the EO not being mixed in. Is it possible to rebatch this?
I rebatch by confetting it - grating my old soap and adding it at up to 50% weight of confetti/50% ppo of a new batch of batter. If you google confetti soap you can see some of the lovely soap people have made with this method. It is really easy, requires no heating and isn't messy.

No, they don't. The ones I use that accelerate in cold process are:
Cinnamon leaf
Clove leaf
Fir needle
Lemongrass
Ylang Ylang

The ones I use that do not accelerate are:
Bergamot
Cedarwood
Eucalyptus
Lavender 40/42
Lemon
Litsea
Orange valencia
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Spearmint
Tea Tree

If you buy your EOs online, most vendors will tell you if they accelerate. Also, they will tell you which ones to use sparingly because some can be skin irritants.
I primarily use EOs, many fragrance oils give me headaches. So it's no fun for me to make soap when I know I will probably end up with a headache.
For scents I can't get with an EO, I have tried some NaturesFlavors (nature identical) fragrance oils with mixed results. That is, some stick better than others and some just don't smell like I expected.

This is super helpful, thanks so much!

I rebatch by confetting it - grating my old soap and adding it at up to 50% weight of confetti/50% ppo of a new batch of batter. If you google confetti soap you can see some of the lovely soap people have made with this method. It is really easy, requires no heating and isn't messy.

Great idea, thank you!

Latest posts

Back