Rebatch Seize Rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deda

Reaction score
I'm a liar.

I swore I would never ever attempt a rebatch again.

I made a very basic recipe this morning. Everything went exactly as planned until I spaced and SBed when I should have whisked. Duh. Seize in 20 seconds. Couldn't even spread it in the mold. I was yelling at the cat. The bird was yelling at me. Tears were brimming. Utter frustration!

I thought of you all, and put on my big girl pants and hauled out the CrockPot.
I chunked the whole beautiful pale yellow Lemony scented mess in with great aplomb.
PLUGGED IT IN and turned it to low. I flaked it up, it's still soft, but not spreadable.

What do I do next?

Also, I found a box of Lucky Charms the kids left over Christmas.
When did they start putting all the weird colored marshmallows in there?
I don't do change well, and certainly not this morning.

I shuffled into my office with the dayglo bowl of cereal like a big nerd to seek your advice, looked out the window and IT'S SNOWING!
An Omen? Good or Bad?

Help! Please. :oops:

if it makes you feel anybetter at this point you are not rebatching but finishing up your cp with a hp, so technically your're doing cphp. :lol:

once it has finished gelling and looks like vaseline you can do the tongue test, no zap you can add your additives and glop and smoosh and bang it into your mold. if' it still zaps let it continue cooking another 10-15 minutes again and test.

Hey Deda....let it sit in the crock pot for as long as necessary for it to soften up enough. Depending on how old the soap you're rebatching is you can add a little oil to it to help it soften up. It's going to take quite a while for it to get soft enough to pour - but it will get there. Use a spoon to mix in your oil....

I'm voting for the snow as a good omen. It makes everything fresh and clean looking. How's it going now, Deda?

KnitchyFingers said:
I'm voting for the snow as a good omen. It makes everything fresh and clean looking. How's it going now, Deda?
Well, the snow stopped. The soap started buring so around 2pm I glopped it all into a log mold and I'll hope for the best.

It never looked like vaseline, I mean the soap was 5 minutes old when I tossed it in the CrockPot. I stirred about every 15 minutes, the bottom of the glob would start to look like it was going to gel up a bit, but then it would instantly dry out. I added a total of .5 cups of water - I used full water with the batch to begin with as the fragrance is a speedy devil anyway. Oh, well. Now I know.

I will save a piece and display it on my soap dish for the shame of it all. :cry:

Deda said:
PLUGGED IT IN and turned it to low.

Deda said:
I shuffled into my office with the dayglo bowl of cereal like a big nerd to seek your advice, looked out the window and IT'S SNOWING!
Neon cereal is a good thing.....................it helps you soap!! Pink stars........green clover.......yellow moons......they are called "Lucky Charms" for a reason! And the results this morning .............?

Digit

122308009.jpg

They're a mottled marmalade looking lot.

I love the scent, the texture is interesting and being able to use them right away without sacrifice is a big bonus.
However, I don't like the look AND I had to trim away 1/2 an inch around just to get rid of the lumpy dried out rind, especially on the bottom.

I love it!!! You couldn't get that look iffen you were trying too!! You could call it "Marmalade Soap". BTW, who is Marma?

Digit

Hey Deda, that looks GOOD!! I'd be happy using it. If you really hate it so much, you could always send it out to us all to test. :lol:

mandolyn said:
Hey Deda, that looks GOOD!! I'd be happy using it. If you really hate it so much, you could always send it out to us all to test. :lol:

I'm with you mandolyn! :wink: Of course, shipping to Aussieland may be a little pricey.....

Tanya :)

You guys are too sweet.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to look. I try not to gel and usually get a nice even creamy color. This is mottled and sorta random, but it has a lovely feel to it. I'm really happy with the way it 'works', but how is CPHP or HP for that matter supposed to look?

Deda said:
........but it has a lovely feel to it..........
I do not believe you. Nope, can't do it. You should send us each a bar and let us decide.

Digit

Latest posts

Back