Re-Thinking Shaving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use slick soap to shave my legs when I'm in a hurry or just plain lazy. It works pretty well but the razor clogs quickly and I always get nicks and razor burn, the same with store bought shave gel.
Once I started using proper shave soap with a brush and a DE razor, the bumps and nics stopped. I've struggled all my life with sensitive skin, my legs always look like I've been in a fight with a rose bush. I'm forever thankful to have learned how to make shave soap, even if it is a pita to use.
What advantage does the DE razor have? I've heard it's harder to rinse out?

Don't know about legs as I only shave my face, but I suspect legs are similar.

The advantages are much sharper blades that shave closer with less discomfort.

The disadvantages are that DE razors do not inherently control the angle of the blades, you must do that yourself, and carelessness or inattention can result in far more, shall we say, minor skin abrasion, than you intend. There is a learning curve! Most important is that you must use VERY little pressure....

You will find a good, slick shaving soap necessary for using a DE, but once you figure it out, I suspect you will be much happier with the results.

Fred hit it on the nose, a closer more comfortable shave with little or no irritation. With a proper soap, they rinse easily. When I shave with my cheap disposable, I have to tap out hair and soap build up.

The learning curve is real though. I mangled my legs the first couple shaves, almost gave up but I was on a good wet shave forum and they helped me perfect my technique.

@BrewerGeorge where do you buy your blades? I need to find a good price on Feathers

Italian Barber and West Coast Shaving are good sources, but I get my blades from eBay mostly.

And with some care, we are really talking low cost here -- I'm averaging more than 50 shaves each on DE blades (yes, 50). Top of the line blades are more like 90 shaves, low end ones are 25-30. I use four or five blades a year shaving every day....

Good shaving soap is essential.

Fred hit it on the nose, a closer more comfortable shave with little or no irritation. With a proper soap, they rinse easily. When I shave with my cheap disposable, I have to tap out hair and soap build up.

The learning curve is real though. I mangled my legs the first couple shaves, almost gave up but I was on a good wet shave forum and they helped me perfect my technique.

@BrewerGeorge where do you buy your blades? I need to find a good price on Feathers
I get mine on Amazon, but I've never searched for Feathers. They're purportedly sharper than I want to mess with and Astras work fine for me. My razor is a relatively easy-to-use Merkur, too. (I've so got a 50 year old Gillette that I pulled out from behind a wall - the one with the sides that flip up when you turn the handle.) With that combo, the learning curve isn't quite so dangerous.

Making blades last a long time is a function of drying them well. They don't "dull" so much as they rust.

Whaaaa? No way I could get 50 shaves on my DE's. I get around 10-11 no matter what brand I use. I have a beard from hell however.

I really like the Polsilver Iridiums from Russia. I get them on eBay or direct from other users on a shave forum. I've always found the Feathers too delicate, like the edge bends on me when I shave maybe. They are without a doubt among the sharpest but I can't get a smooth shave with them. Even though I pay more for the Iridiums, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than disposables. Much better shave too.

@BrewerGeorge yes, feathers are a lot sharper. I DE shaved for a good 6 months before I ever attempted using them, they have a learning curve all their own. I tried Astra due to their good reviews but they aren't for me, too bad as they are a lot cheaper.
I'm using a 1959 gillette fatboy, its the kind with a dial on the handle so you can make it more or less aggressive to suit your needs. It was my late grandfathers, kinda feel weird one of the grandsons didn't get it but no one else would use it.

@LBussy I also like Polsilver Iridiums, I haven't decided if I like them or feathers better. I've not found feathers delicate but there is a big difference in the hair we are shaving.
I get around 10 shaves with my blades too. I can get more but also more skin irritation.

I've always gotten large numbers of shaves per blade or cartridge, must have rhino hide for skin. Sparse beard helps too, I think.

Polsilvers are nice (should get lots of shaves from them) and German made Wilkinson Sword blades are very good. I'm also impressed by SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium blades (they also make a platinum coated Blue Diamond) from India.

A Gillette Slim or a Super Adjustable long handle (ake "Black Beauty") make nice ladies razors as they have longer handles. Or the long handled "Lady Gillette" with stars on in, blue or pink.

Also DE blades are VASTLY cheaper than even Dollar Shave club. Like two years worth (weekly change) of Astras for $10.
Merkur Futur (aka Ming Shi S2000) safety razor 'clone' from aliexpress around $10, 100 blades another $10. Hardly expensive. I'm on my 3rd blade this year, still on the free box of 10 that came with the razor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back