re home businesses in residential area

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubato456

Reaction score
i read a recent thread where sudzy discussed problems related to having a soap business....well that got me to haul out the declarations of restrictions that govern the area i live in...you know, you can't have a dog that barks excessively or have weeds taller than 6 inches...etc etc.

well acc to this document: "No trade or business of any kind shall be conducted upon said property or any part thereof." well i'm already in violation of that because i do free lance newsletter writing at home though i don't have an official business name but as far as uncle sam is concerned because i made x dollars last year i am in business....... so i'm wondering am a crazy to think that some day i could sell soaps on etszy or at a craft show. is this restriction only if i were to sell on my property....my gosh there are ppl all over america who sell on ebay or etzsy or whatever,...are they all doing this on the sly.....

Check with your local zoning department.

I had to jump through many hoops to get a home occupation permit.

rube, I wouldn't fret. In most places, it becomes a problem if you have physical traffic in and out to buy your product. That's when the neighbors begin to complain. If you are making soap in-home and selling at shows and such, I bet it's not worth the worry. NOw if you get a million dollar account, you may want to reconsider! :wink:

Back