Question re: Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonblossom

Reaction score
Ok so I am mixing my Lye with a small amount of the water required for each batch of soap then adding GM after I add the lye to the oils and I have been having problems with my lye crystalizing in my pitcher before I stick it in the oils is this a lye problem or a me problem? any ideas?
Thanks
~Teri

Are you making sure that the total of your water and GM are the amount required for the lye?

Yes, I haven had problems with that just my Lye crystallizing before I get it to my oils example if it calls for 24 oz h20 I use 4oz h20 and 20 oz GM but I don't add the GM until I put the lye in my oils I have major problems with brownish orange if I do.

The only thing I can think of is I cool my lye down in a cold water bath. Last batch I made I had to pry the crystallized lye from my pitcher, then heat it up in the microwave to make sure all the lye was melting in the oils.
Thanks
~Teri

Are you using enough h2o to completely dissolve the lye? You should use the same weight in water as weight of lye. I believe if not then you should add your goats milk slowly to it as it cools then add to your oils.

Absolutely you must use at least as much water as lye. It's best if your GM is at room temp when you add it later on the process.

Today I used frozen goat milk and let the lye melt the milk. I had no off color at all and my lye mixture stayed at 70 degrees. I have to say it worked out great. Although to increase my temp I'd use 2/3 frozen and 1/2 cold GM.

see the color.. oh and this is tinted pinkish.

100_0524.jpg

Back