Pulling my hair out trying to find lye.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journey11

Reaction score
Sorry to post this as a question when I figure it's something that's been asked 100 times. I tried searching, but got an error message that told me I couldn't do another search so soon after the one I just did and to come back later???

Anyhow, I've been all over creation looking for lye. Even the small mom and pop hardware stores don't have what I'm looking for... I researched and was told to look for AAA or Roebic crystals. I did find Rooto liquid at one store, but I am not sure it is 100% lye or if it's ok to use liquid?

Is there anywhere online that you can buy crystal lye and not have to buy a whole case or pay crazy shipping charges?

I have EVERYTHING ELSE I need to get started. It's been sitting around for weeks. I am getting really frustrated and want to get going on this. Help! Thanks!!

I looked for a long time also. I found no place that sold it. I live in the northeast. I checked three Home Depots, Two Lowes, and countless others (True Vales, Aces, smaller independent, ) no one sold anything I could used.

I got it online, and yes the shipping was ridiculous.

However, you are going to want to get Essential Oils (maybe) and the price for these is not as bad. You might also want Mica's, weird oils, additives such as shea butter, etc... You will also want a digital scale if you dont have one.

If you get everything at one then it will be a little better. The shipping is ridiculous but you can get enough so that you do not have to order for some time.

I use Camden Grey.

here is the link i used to find where to buy lye. You can check the different places. Some have cheaper price on the lye but more on the shipping or vice verse.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldp ... ources.htm

Where are you in WV? I get mine at agchem in Winchester. Just a few miles across the stateline.

I just got a who bunch of lye so wont need it for a while but thats interesting about Ace. I will defiantly try and find out if they carry it. The place i tried did not (least at the time). I would prefer to get it without havingto pay the crazy shipping.

I tried to see lyeguy and see what his shipping was but could not.

Essential depot looks like its a better deal on shipping than the place i was using.

Thank you for all the replies!

I tried two Ace hardwares around here with no luck. Meth has been a big problem in our area, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the all the links. I compared them all and saw several good deals. There was free shipping on 10 lbs. at Essential Depot. I figured that to be around 35 batches of soap, but it was such a good deal I think I'll go ahead and go for it. They said it was an air-tight bottle. I've got a good place to store it too. So I'll not have to buy lye for a couple years, LOL.

I'll get my order in right away so I can start soaping. I can't wait to get started! :wink:

I now get mine through AAAchemicals.com out of TX and it is less expensive than when I got it through ED, even with the free deal. So you may want to check it out. They have a shipping calculator so you will know before you fill out all the info.

Latest posts

Back