Preservative for liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBV

Reaction score
I am wanting to make liquid soap (potassium based). How much preservative is needed.?

I plan on using geography 221

Geogard 221 is typically used at 0.2 to 0.8% in both rinse-off and leave-on product formulations. The higher percent would be used if your product had a high percent of water or herbal extracts.

So the question is - Do you need to add a higher ratio of preservative to the final product (diluted)? If so, what percentage?

If you want to use a preservative in liquid soap, be aware that few preservatives are stable in products with a high pH. I highly doubt Geogard is one of them -- you'll want to verify that. Preservative Reviews

If you use a preservative, you use it at its rated dosage per the supplier's info. Preservative isn't necessary in the paste -- I think the consensus is paste is self preserving. It's the diluted soap that you add preservative to, and the dosage is based on the total amount of diluted soap you want to treat.

also see Table of contents | Soapy Stuff

Back