Powdered Egg

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Soaper

Reaction score
I've thought about using Powdered Whole Egg or Powdered Egg White in soap. Does anyone have experience with either of these?
How much powder did you use per 100g of distilled water?

Is it best to add the Sodium Hydroxide to the Distilled Water first, allow it to cool down, and then add the powdered egg? Egg protein denatures at 150°F. The Distilled Water and Sodium Hydroxide always gets well above 150°F. I would think it would be best to keep the Powdered Egg below 150°F.

Do you have experience with this? How has it worked for you? How does Powdered Whole Egg or Powdered Egg White improve the final product?

Never add egg to the lye water. Even if the lye solution is at room temperature, the alkali itself will cause the egg to do strange things.

I have never used powdered egg -- it's hard to find and more expensive than fresh eggs. If I wanted to add powdered egg to soap, I would be inclined to rehydrate it in a water-based liquid (without any lye), mix the reconstituted egg into the fats, and then add the lye solution.

Never add egg to the lye water. Even if the lye solution is at room temperature, the alkali itself will cause the egg to do strange things.

I have never used powdered egg -- it's hard to find and more expensive than fresh eggs. If I wanted to add powdered egg to soap, I would be inclined to rehydrate it in a water-based liquid (without any lye), mix the reconstituted egg into the fats, and then add the lye solution.

Ok, that sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it sometime -- but it's probably going to be a while.

Latest posts

Back