Playing around with a slab mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Way back when I first got hooked on making soap, my thrifty self found a perfect wood box to repurpose as a little slab mold. I’ve only used it once, but then rebatched the soap because it had a really bumpy top. Now I know about soap planers and that’s why a planer is the next thing on my wish list. Planer or not, I couldn’t hold back any longer. I have entirely too much soap in my house, but I also have the seemingly unstoppable urge to try new things with soap :). Here’s my soap, with some bumps and rough edges.

D29ECC04-5582-4779-9975-45BD6B91DA70.jpeg

Beautiful - what kind of technique did you use to get this effect? In the pot swirl?
Thanks! I poured the colors as stripes into a funnel pitcher and along the plane from the spout to the handle. I had to do that a few times due to the size of my pitcher, and I mixed the colors up a bit when refilling the pitcher. Then I just moved the pitcher around as I poured into the slab mold, with the spout of the pitcher close to the soap. Next time I want to try pouring concentric rings using a side pour on the side between the spout and the handle. After I made the soap, I watched a great video by Newbie (she made it for the SMF thin line pour challenge, I think), where the slab soap looked like Malachite. I think the slab mold opens up some options that would be difficult in the loaf mold, like this more painterly effect.

that is very lovely--good job. I have a small slab that I use for a column pour. nice to see other things done with a slab. can I ask what the bottom looks like? when I pour my column one the bottom is very undefined--that is where my planer comes in handy. I was wondering if the bottom is different with the way you poured

that is very lovely--good job. I have a small slab that I use for a column pour. nice to see other things done with a slab. can I ask what the bottom looks like? when I pour my column one the bottom is very undefined--that is where my planer comes in handy. I was wondering if the bottom is different with the way you poured
The bottom is a layer of uncolored batter because the first thing I did was pour batter that was too thin. I should have known that because my colors all fell through the batter and I couldn’t see any color on the surface. After pouring enough to cover the bottom, I realized that I should let it set up a bit and then it was fine. If I had a planer I could probably shave it off, but I’m fine with it the way it is. There’s always the next time :).

It's lovely Mobjack Bay. The colors are so soft and pretty together. It's hard to believe you've only been making soap for a short time. You have some serious talent within :)
Thank you Dibbles. Your beautiful and meticulous (!) soaps have been an inspiration for me. It means a lot to me that you like my soap.

Those look so cool! I used to have a tie dyed shirt that looks like the bar on top hehehe
:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a lot like the Ribbon Pour challenge we had a couple of years ago.

Love the look of your soap in your little repurposed wooden slab mold. I repurposed a small bamboo box sold at Target for the intended use as a drawer divider (for socks or undies or some such). For me it's the perfect small slab mold.

Sounds a lot like the Ribbon Pour challenge we had a couple of years ago.

Love the look of your soap in your little repurposed wooden slab mold. I repurposed a small bamboo box sold at Target for the intended use as a drawer divider (for socks or undies or some such). For me it's the perfect small slab mold.
My box was the bottom of a two piece thingy for slicing bread.

I’ve recently been reading through the challenge threads. The original instructions, linked videos, etc are super useful, as are all the ensuing comments about what worked and didn’t work for each participant. Working my way through the “lessons” will be enough to keep me busy for a few years!

I’ve recently been reading through the challenge threads. The original instructions, linked videos, etc are super useful, as are all the ensuing comments about what worked and didn’t work for each participant. Working my way through the “lessons” will be enough to keep me busy for a few years!

Maybe it'll take you years, but with your dedication and focus, I tend to think you will breeze through them in just a few months! I learned so much from the previous challenges when I first joined. It's a lot of fun to 'participate after the fact' in the SMF challenges. As you say, there is just so much to learn! Added benefit: it keeps our minds active and youthful.

Maybe it'll take you years, but with your dedication and focus, I tend to think you will breeze through them in just a few months! I learned so much from the previous challenges when I first joined. It's a lot of fun to 'participate after the fact' in the SMF challenges. As you say, there is just so much to learn! Added benefit: it keeps our minds active and youthful.
I need to channel the energy and learning new things is such a great way to do it. Plus, now I get soap!

Latest posts

Back