Pine Tar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the pine tar at room temperature, all of my ingredients have been cooled down to room temp.
Btw, today I unmold the soap and cut it. Here's a picture of it

It kinda looked a bit translucent, the soap still soft and definitely need a good curing :D

I'm quite happy with the result, not as good as I expected, but I'm still lucky succeeding this batch that I almost ruin lol

Attachments

• 16372100332285185426775857542802.jpg
    16372100332285185426775857542802.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 13
You can certainly warm pine tar before working with it, but IMO it's truly not necessary to warm it before pouring it or mixing it with other ingredients.

Given the way pine tar reacts so quickly with lye, I also don't feel any desire to encourage it to react even faster by adding any extra heat.

There are various ways to add pine tar to a soap batter, and a person can make them all work. But in my experience, adding undiluted pine tar to soap batter after the batter is at trace is the most troublesome method of the several I've tried. I don't use it anymore.

I get better and more consistent results by adding the pine tar to the fats before adding lye solution. That way I can take all the time I need to get the pine tar thoroughly mixed in.

The recipe I worked off of recommended heating the tar with the oils which I did and that allowed it become very fluid and mix together easier
DITTO. I first warm the can of pine tar on a warmer plate to pour easily. Then add to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution.

FWIW: I just added Tips & Techniques to my Post #19.

do i really need 6-7-8 different kind of oils to make pine tar soap ?? does anyone one know of a recipe with 2-4 oils, preferably affordable and found at grocery store...

do i really need 6-7-8 different kind of oils to make pine tar soap ?? does anyone one know of a recipe with 2-4 oils, preferably affordable and found at grocery store...
You can make it anyway you want. Because pine tar is soft, you want some harder oils, or a titch of beeswax.

If you are ok with animal fats, try this:

50% tallow
25% olive oil
15% coconut oil
10% pine tar
3% sugar per total oil weight (for improved lather)

You could also lower the OO to 15% and use 5% castor oil to improve lather stability. But I was trying to keep the total number of oils low per your request.

If you don’t want to use animal fats, you could sub out the tallow for a blend of 40% palm oil and 10% cocoa butter. Both are usually found in the baking aisle. But again, that is more oils than you said you want to use.

No, you don't need a fancy recipe to make decent pine tar soap. Use a recipe that makes physically hard, long lasting soap and add about 10% pine tar to the list of fats. That will work fine.

You can make it anyway you want. Because pine tar is soft, you want some harder oils, or a titch of beeswax.

If you are ok with animal fats, try this:

50% tallow
25% olive oil
15% coconut oil
10% pine tar
3% sugar per total oil weight (for improved lather)

You could also lower the OO to 15% and use 5% castor oil to improve lather stability. But I was trying to keep the total number of oils low per your request.

If you don’t want to use animal fats, you could sub out the tallow for a blend of 40% palm oil and 10% cocoa butter. Both are usually found in the baking aisle. But again, that is more oils than you said you want to use.
i am a vegitarian. and i do not understand a recipes done in percentages/% over weight, but thanks for your time

looks as though i may have found what i am looking for...and an organic pine tar for soap making, too Pine Tar Soap Recipe. any one familiar

i am a vegitarian. and i do not understand a recipes done in percentages/% over weight, but thanks for your time

looks as though i may have found what i am looking for...and an organic pine tar for soap making, too Pine Tar Soap Recipe. any one familiar
I am as well.

Yes, you did find one!

I ran it through soapmakingfriend.com calculator and what you have is about 8% superfat with that recipe. So as long as you weigh/measure accurately, have a fully dissolved lye solution when you mix it together, and no serious complications, the soap should be safe.

I suggest adding the salt to make the bar a bit harder. Dissolve the salt in hot water first before making your ye solution. After it has cooled down, then add the dry lye to the salt water. It helps the soap to be hard sooner for taking out of the mold.
don't know how work soap caculator, just looking for a weight recipe, why is that so impossible to find ?? frustrated !!!

That's because most of us here at SMF like to create our own formulas and don't go in search of someone else's formula and were not expecting that was what you were looking for. We always caution new soapmakers to use a lye calculator to ensure no mistakes in the published formula that they may want to try out.

The one you found at the NerdyFarm Wife site will be fine. I concur that you won't need to use a stick blender/handheld mixer for this formula. Pine tar will thicken up the batter very quickly on its own. Make sure to have your mould close to hand and ready before you even start so you can pour the batter in as soon as it starts to thicken up.

Latest posts

Back