Pet safe essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda105

Reaction score
I am trying to make soap bars for pets, can someone help me understand which EO can I add to them? I read that tea tree is a good option, is it safe for dogs?

I'm not aware of any EOs which are totally safe for pets, though I'll admit I've not done much research so there might be something that's ok.

I seem to recall reading that some need a high dose to cause damage, and others are only dangerous if the pet is sensitive to that particular oil, but I still wouldn't risk it personally.

I am trying to make soap bars for pets, can someone help me understand which EO can I add to them? I read that tea tree is a good option, is it safe for dogs?
Lots of misinformation out there, so be careful! Tea tree oil is not a good option for pets according to this article. Do a Google search for dogs and EOs, but add the words “scholarly articles” to bring up reliable answers to your questions.

So many people use EOs in products because EOs are "natural" so somehow they're safer than those factory produced "chemicals."

It's been awhile, but the info I've retained is that a limited number of EOs are okay for dogs if used with caution, but absolutely do not use EOs on cats, birds, or other small mammals. Other than that, I'm with the others -- find solid information provided by people who are qualified professionals. Don't trust the "common wisdom" and ignorant advice floating around on the internet.

After reading on the subject for some time, I decided adding EOs to soap or other general cleansers was not the best idea, even for dogs. I can accept the idea that carefully chosen EOs may have legitimate medicinal value if blended into a salve or lotion and applied topically to a specific areas for a limited length of time. But that's a whole different situation than adding EO to a cleanser and applying it to the animal's entire body.

Agree with DeeAnna. We also as soapers or crafters do not have the veterinary or pharmacological knowledge or training to safely make or use "beneficial" preparations for animals. Or to apply eo or fo to them safely at any level.

Other species metabolize chemicals far differently than humans do, and are unable to tell us that something's wrong (or even that they hate a smell).

They can't even tell you if the soap you use on them stings or makes their skin feel taut.

I’m glad to see this conversation, and I want to ask another question that has nothing to do with using essential oils on pets but having essential oils open and around them.

I’ve been making soap in my kitchen with all the windows open with my cats in another room with the door shut, and they have good ventilation - windows open etc.

From what I’ve been reading, even inhaling, not ingesting, but inhaling may potentially caused damage..

I can start to due mixing part of the cold process outside on a screened in porch so that piece is not a problem.

What I’m wondering is if while the soap cures over six weeks (which is in a huge open area inside our house) if that can potentially cause respiratory problems to cats. Once it’s cured, what about using the soap on our skin and a cat licking our skin? I understand we are not veterinarians, but I’m curious about your thoughts on this. Thanks.

I’m glad to see this conversation, and I want to ask another question that has nothing to do with using essential oils on pets but having essential oils open and around them.

I’ve been making soap in my kitchen with all the windows open with my cats in another room with the door shut, and they have good ventilation - windows open etc.

From what I’ve been reading, even inhaling, not ingesting, but inhaling may potentially caused damage..

I can start to due mixing part of the cold process outside on a screened in porch so that piece is not a problem.

What I’m wondering is if while the soap cures over six weeks (which is in a huge open area inside our house) if that can potentially cause respiratory problems to cats. Once it’s cured, what about using the soap on our skin and a cat licking our skin? I understand we are not veterinarians, but I’m curious about your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Unless the cats are sniffing directly from your bottles, I don't think that the scent in the air is going to hurt them, especially if you have good ventilation.

I've been making the soap most of Minnie and Sophie's lives and there doesn't seem to be any negatives effects...other than their disappointment that I spend so much time in the kitchen without there being any food. And Sophie is big on making sure her human is properly groomed and again...no apparent negative effects. Which is logical since is a wash on/rinse off product that isn't on our skin from very long.

I'll be honest, I would never use a lye-based soap on my pets; if it's damaging for my hair, I'm not using it on them. I use a shampoo that comes directly from my vet...it's a little more spendy, but I only use it twice a year and I know that it is safe for them.

Yes, EOs in the air is exactly what the article I linked above covered. Specifically it was dealing with diffusers and the effects on pets, both inhaled and settling from the air onto their coats. Here is the link to the New York Times article again. Are you able to open it?

On a sidenote, I am having sensitization reactions on my face with limited reactions on my scalp, arms and neck. I had assumed it was caused by fragrance in the shampoo bar I made. When it gets hot and humid in the house, however, my face is still red and itching like crazy. I even started to suspect that I am allergic to my own sweat!

Last night, it dawned on me that when it is hot and humid here in the house, I have had the fan going on high to keep my soap dry. One of the soaps in particular has lemon grass and litsea in it. Then there are the FO’s with cinnamyl and other identified EU allergens. I’ve scrubbed with an unscented soap and unscented shampoo, but at the end of a hot and humid day I feel like I have a coating on my skin.

I now believe that the fan is blowing fragrance and soap molecules through my house and they are settling on my skin, causing irritation/sensitization. And if soap/fragrance molecules are settling on my skin, I’m sure they are settling on the coats of my Brittanys, too. Luckily, they don’t lick their coats. We don’t have cats. I have wondered if there could be a problem with fish in the aquarium, but they seem to be OK.

I am going to move my soap drying racks to a separate room where they can’t contaminate the rest of the house. I will know in a few days if the curing soap is the culprit for my itchy skin.

I am trying to make soap bars for pets, can someone help me understand which EO can I add to them?
The most important thing to remember about scents for dogs is that their sense of smell is a thousand times stronger than ours. Whatever you use, be sure to use it with a light touch.
My former DIL was a dog groomer. She put just a dot of Lavender behind each ear to calm the dog before beginning.

I have no problem using lye-based shampoo bars on dogs any more than I do on humans. I made them for a wholesale customer. They not only sold well but she and her partner had 5 black labs that served as guinea pigs for test driving the bars. It's important to rinse with increasingly cool water to get all the soap residue out. Then follow up with a vinegar rinse to restore the acid balance of the skin and leave the coat soft and shiny.

Google search "Essential Oil Blends for Dogs". There's lots of links. Here's just one.

https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/essential-oil-blends-for-dogs/

Last edited:
On a sidenote, I am having sensitization reactions on my face with limited reactions on my scalp, arms and neck. I had assumed it was caused by fragrance in the shampoo bar I made.
My first suspicion is propylene glycol in the shampoo bar. While GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) I'm allergic to it and avoid it.
I’ve scrubbed with an unscented soap and unscented shampoo, but at the end of a hot and humid day I feel like I have a coating on my skin.
This sounds more like the rash is caused by what you put in your body, not on your skin. You may want to talk to your doctor about food allergies. :smallshrug:

This sounds more like the rash is caused by what you put in your body, not on your skin. You may want to talk to your doctor about food allergies.
That’s a good point, @Zany_in_CO. I will look into it, unless it involves giving up Popsicles and Fudgesicles in the summertime, in which case I’ll just take a shower to wash the sticky film off because . . . I have soap. 😊

I will investigate propylene glycol and run a couple of skin tests to see if that may be the problem. Thank you for the advice!

Edit to add: You may have nailed it for me with the propylene glycol. And it’s important to know that personal care products aren’t. The only thing I need to be aware of if propylene glycol is the culprit. It’s also in foods.

2nd edit to add: propylene glycol appears to be used as the solvent in all of the melt and pour products, including Syndopour. 😔

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back