PALM OIL

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live in a place the has Caribbean or African grocery stores they usually sell the red palm oil (and sometimes the other). I've even found coconut oil for very cheap in our local shop.

If you want to discuss PO suppliers I think it would be helpful to post prices.

I'm getting my PO at Natural Oils Inc. for $15/gallon, or $1.95/pound. CO is the same price. I think the price is okay but not great. I get many of my oils from them because they are local and I can just drive over and pick it up. No shipping, no waiting.

http://www.naturaloils.com

Pricing

Well, folks can go to the site, and look at the prices. That's what I do. Shipping is often what gets ugly with online shopping. OBN is close to me — I'm in Michigan, they're in Ohio. So, I can usually get my stuff in a day (depending on when I order, not counting weekends), and the shipping is not mind-blowing.

Organic CO $18.40/8lb Pail
They're out of regular CO, so I had to get the organic. But that's a good price for a gallon of organic coconut oil.

Palm Oil $14.40/8lb Pail

Well that's $1.80/pound, not much better than my price. Maybe my price isn't that bad at all.

The best idea is to find out where several suppliers are and then start with the one nearest you, comparing prices. The closer the supplier the cheaper the shipping, and the quicker you get your order too. For that reason the best supplier won't be the same for everybody but rather depends where you are and where they are.

True

Lovehound said:
Well that's $1.80/pound, not much better than my price. Maybe my price isn't that bad at all.

The best idea is to find out where several suppliers are and then start with the one nearest you, comparing prices. The closer the supplier the cheaper the shipping, and the quicker you get your order too. For that reason the best supplier won't be the same for everybody but rather depends where you are and where they are.

That's the bottom line. Plus, I don't always go for "cheapest". There are other other variables that may cause me to prefer one supplier over another. My food-grade lye supplier is not the cheapest, but I "love my lye". I love the quality, the way it's packaged, the fast shipment (from California, btw) and I like how they've responded to my questions. I will probably never buy my lye from anyone else.

That's the way I feel about OBN.

Hey NEA, I'm in California! I was considering buying from AAA but I'd appreciate if you name your CA supplier either here or in PM. Thanks!

Lye

Lovehound said:
Hey NEA, I'm in California! I was considering buying from AAA but I'd appreciate if you name your CA supplier either here or in PM. Thanks!

Click the name below! :D
Certified Lye. I think everyone pays the same shipping, though. So for you, AAA may be bettter.

Cerfified's prices aren't as good as AAA, $3.49/lb vs. about $2/lb. I pay a bit over $4/lb for Roebic's at Loew's so it has to be a lot better deal to hassle ordering and shipping. (AAA food grade is about $2.50/lb.)

You know how we all have to keep finding the best prices, and of course the best products too. Thanks for the info and it's not your fault about Certified's prices.

Its so much cheaper to find lye locally, 9 times out of ten there is a chem company that will sell it to you pretty cheap ( I get mine for $60 shipped for 50 lbs from a company not far from me.) I love OBN for my oils because they are 20 minutes away. Sometimes though the pricing structure change and its cheaper for me to order in from Soapers Choice. WSP's prices are also reasonable for the gallon sizes for the hobbyist or low volume soap maker.

Zaja, I'm just curious what general geographic area you're in. I haven't found any lye suppliers in Los Angeles, or even any good chemical suppliers. You'd think otherwise. Often it's a matter of they're there but no way of locating them. The Internet sucks sometime.

BTW I was discussing you with a friend recently. You make very good posts and you're very helpful to newbies. I'd like to pass that on, from my friend, and from me. Good work Zaja! You're a credit to the soaper community. We would all be better to emulate you. :)

Lye

Lovehound said:
Cerfified's prices aren't as good as AAA, $3.49/lb vs. about $2/lb. I pay a bit over $4/lb for Roebic's at Loew's so it has to be a lot better deal to hassle ordering and shipping. (AAA food grade is about $2.50/lb.)

You know how we all have to keep finding the best prices, and of course the best products too. Thanks for the info and it's not your fault about Certified's prices.

No, they're not. I was giving an example of how I include other factors, and not just price, to determine what suppliers I use. I've never had a reason to try AAA, because I'm happy with my current supplier. Now, when I start to sell and produce more soap, AAA may become an option for me, because price will be a bigger factor.

I didn't take it that you had issue with me because of Certified Lye's prices... :lol:

I purchase 90% of all my ingredient-supplies from www.mountainroseherbs.com They may not be the cheapest supplier. But after reading up on their origins, who founded & runs the company, and what they're goals, mission and passion is...I will probably stick with them long term. I am big on having access to a large variety of certified organic essential oils, a large variety of cold pressed oils and butters and other natural additives in one place. They're customer service is top-notch too!

I use http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/cart.php for my bottles, jars and such.

Back