Palm Oil and Olive Oil Soap- MELTING Problem !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saqqa

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a newbie, and made a soap (by putting oil quantities in Lye calculate) to get my recipe.

I mixed
500 red palm oil
104 olive
81.6 lye
199.3 Water

Unfortunately, the soap MELTS down very quickly (tough it hasn't cured full 4 weeks) but i was thinking Palm oil hardens the soap.

What wrong am I doing ?
Is it the Lye calculate i shouldnt use to get the recipe ?

That should be a very hard bar of soap that lasts well. How long has it cured and is it able to completely dry between uses?

Even though red palm oil does supposedly have the same values as other palm oil, for me it feels pretty soft at first and I've never even used it at a high percentage.

After a longer cure, it should be harder. But hardness does NOT equal longevity in use (in the presence of water). What determines longevity is well explained here by DeeAnna.

ETA: So yes, with a Long Lasting number (called Longevity in soapee.com calculator), it would look like it should last a long time. But as Obsidian asks about the cure time and if you get the soap dry between uses also impacts how fast it will melt with use. Only recently I read another DeeAnna post that addressed soap's solubility in water, which also affects how fast a soap will melt with use, but right now I don't recall if it was a newer or older post and in what thread topic in may have appeared, so searching for it is not bringing it up for me. In any case, it would seem your soap in it's current state is too soluble, and/or under-cured, and/or may not be drying out between uses.

Last edited:
Your recipe looks okay. I think the problem might well be that the soap is still young. As time goes on, you should see an improvement.

Thank you guys for all our input i guess I can only now wait it to fully cure an see the results :)

Can I make only palm oil soap ?
Or only Coconut oil soap ?

How much superfat should I do ?

You can make only coconut oil soap but it doesn't last long, you need a very high SF 15-20%. I wouldn't make a 100% palm, it wouldn't be lather very good. Do you have any other oils available?

Why don't you try 50% palm, 25% olive, 25% coconut. It should be a nice balanced soap. Cure it for a good 6-8 weeks

Thanks for your input Obsidian...
Unfortunately Olive is very expensive at my side....
How about Palm Oil and Coconut oil only ?

Latest posts

Back