palm-free recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm curious too....so following. I've tried 2 palm free recipes (other recipes I've tried were 100% CO, one 20% SF and another 0% SF as my laundry soap), and they're both still very soft. one has been curing for 3 weeks.....

Olive Oil 40%
Lard 40%
Coconut 20%
8% SF

or if you wish no lard
Olive 70%
Coconut 30%
6%

May start out soft, give it 6 months.
Roy

i'm curious too....so following. I've tried 2 palm free recipes (other recipes I've tried were 100% CO, one 20% SF and another 0% SF as my laundry soap), and they're both still very soft. one has been curing for 3 weeks.....

100% coconut oil should not still be soft. How did you make and how much water did you? If you want to share.

Coconut Oil - 25%
Cocoa Butter - 20%
Castor Oil - 15%
Hempseed Oil - 15%
Olive Oil - 25%

SF5%

Adjust accordingly :)

Cocoa and shea butters are great to add. I love Hemp oil, but it has a really really short shelf life, so not sure I'd add that. Don't forget olive oil does make a hard bar, it just takes awhile for it to cure.

100% coconut oil should not still be soft. How did you make and how much water did you? If you want to share.

This was my thought too.. Mine gets firm and solid very quickly. My batch right now is 4 weeks I believe and it's been a brick for about 2 weeks.

And I swap lard/tallow for palm.

I love Hemp oil, but it has a really really short shelf life, so not sure I'd add that.

I have not had any problems with Hemp oil used in small quantities in my soaps.

I once made a batch, for poops and giggles, it was like 90%hemp oil and 10%coconut oil (These are just guesses, dont have my recipe book near me)

I did not put it in the best spot to cure (too warm), but let me tell you - it was DOS within a week :S. Never doing that again :)

Cocoa and Shea Butters are great to add - I agree

YAY Soap!

those soaps weren't soft...it's the other ones that are still soft. the 100% CO soap are rock hard!

OK, good to know. Still if you have soap that is soft after 3 weeks you may want to use less water in the beginning. It really makes a difference.

^^ thanks! i'm still new, so I haven't tried water discounts yet. i'm also in the tropics, so it's generally super humid here.... will try a water discount on the next batch.

i'm also toying with the idea of salt bars, but currently don't have any of those single soap molds, so will have to wait until I find some molds!

Without palm- you need a discount. Try a 30% lye concentration- it's only a little discount and mostly everything soaps fine.I would bump up Olive Oil on anything palm free also Cocoa Butters are great. Rice Bran is nice for adding some hardness somehow. I noticed my recipe with Rice Bran- the soap and in soap calc- were pretty hard for being palm free.
I sell so I can't share my recipe but just fiddle around with numbers and test everything. Once you find your perfect recipe you won't let it go- but it does take a lot of testing.

I agree Stinkydancer about rice bran. When I leave palm out and replace it (and some of the OO) with rice bran my bars are hard and still very moisterizing. In soapcalc it says that rice bran is comparible in numbers to OO but it will give you a slightly harder bar.

Oil Hardness Cleansing Condition Bubbly Creamy Iodine INS
Rice bran oil 26 1 69 1 25 110 70
Olive oil 17 0 82 0 17 85 105

Last edited:
If you're not using palm oil, you can also increase the proportion of coconut oil ....... Provided you're not allergic to it, and don't have sensitive skin, of course. I routinely use up to 30% CO, and counter-balance any drying effects by adding shea and/or cocoa butter (which also helps with the hardness of the bar) and castor oil - which all add to the moisturizing properties of the soap. Although for soaps made specifically for winter, I do tend to stick to 20-25% CO for my regular bars.

I also second the use of rice bran oil - it does add hardness, but somehow I feel that soap made with RBO and OO seem to be more conditioning than either alone. I've no idea why, but that's just my perception .......!

Keep in mind that if you're planning some time-consuming swirls, you may want to stick to a fairly low shea butter content (5% usually works fine) because it can accelerate trace.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back