Out of Curiousity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across a bunch of oldish (maybe 15 years ago?) soap recipes I'd saved from a web site, with every intention of trying. This one looks interesting but I'm wondering what you all think. I've already adjusted it slightly; the castor was up to 12.5% in the original, palm was a bit higher and shea was a bit lower (16.5% and 12.5% respectively). The only reason I adjusted them was to make up the oils to 100% (the recipe was in ounces only).

What do you think?

Hemp Soap.jpg

Others may have a different opinion, but it actually looks like it would make a great soap for me and mine, except I'd reduce the hemp down to 15%, and add 15% olive to compensate (in order to reduce the high linoleic % from the hemp, which would otherwise make it DOS-prone).

IrishLass :)

I prefer less castor and less CO (down to 5% and 15% respectively), and add the difference to palm. I would eliminate the hemp oil altogether and add that amount to the OO.

I agree with lowering the hemp to 15%, for me I would have to lower the coconut oil also. You might also want to consider lowering the lye concentration to around 33%. At 40% it will be a pretty fast mover, with the 10% plus the palm oil and the shea butter

For myself and family, 30% coconut is not too high. We love bubbly soap and coconut does not seem to be drying for us. I would probably lower the hemp oils also.

It IS supposed to be a hemp soap so removing the hemp oil completely turns it into a whole 'nother beast. My first thought when looking at the percentages was that the castor's way too high.

Subbing lard for palm is no issue for me - I love my lard soap - but I do have friends who do have issues with anything animal based so palm can stay or I may change it if I make this for my lard friendly friends and family.

I found it interesting that the website I found these recipes on is still up and running, with the same recipes, since 2002. None of the recipes has changed one bit in that time. From what I could see, they haven't even added any. They sell soap making supplies and, yet, all their recipes are presented in ounces.

The site is pinemeadows.net, by the way.

Personally, I'd at least switch the values so the recipe would look like this:

Castor: 10%
Coconut: 15%
Hemp: 15%
Palm: 30%
Shea: 30%

I have only one batch of soap with 10% castor oil. I think it was based on one of Obsidian's recipes. It's actually very nice, despite the uncomfortable castor oil level. I'd probably give this a chance first before really changing things up. I just need palm oil.

Just read the rest of the thread, I agree with Steve.

Last edited:
I would make it as you have it with the exception of dropping the hemp to 15%. Add it to your olive. Let it cure and see how you like it. That's what making your own soap is about. Find what you and your family like.

I'm going for it... more or less as written. The only thing I'm changing is that I'm using beer as my liquid because I need to use some of it up. I'll let you know what I think once it's one.

Good luck with that. Beer is a beast to use. I could never get it completely flat somehow, even after reducing it on the stove for 30 minutes or more.

Good luck with that. Beer is a beast to use. I could never get it completely flat somehow, even after reducing it on the stove for 30 minutes or more.

I make beer soap, have almost weekly for the past two months. A local craft brewery sells it. Behind the soap in the second picture, you can see part of my batch of Sweater Weather Oatmeal Stout soap.

Going back to the soap at hand, I unmolded it after about six hours. It was a touch soft but came out of the molds cleanly. I was a bit surprised, to be honest. You can see a couple of dents - one fell and rolled under the spare bed. The other was dented as it came out of the mold. They're just for trial purpose so I'm not overly concerned.

I came up with a name for this recipe.... Two Vices... made with beer and hemp. :lol:

2vices.jpg

2vices2.jpg

I had a two near- volcanoes and one full on from beer/hard cider reductions. In hind sight, I could have just popped them in a freezer. Glad to see they work for you.

Cool soap! Did you stick with 30% hemp? I hope so; I would like to know how it holds up against dos. I don't understand why people would suggest tweaking the recipe so much that it would be a completely different soap at the end. I've noticed this on a lot of threads lately. I am glad to see creativity and exploration in soap making, even if it doesn't always work out :razz:

I glad you did it. Looks good. I used hemp at 20% once and had no problem. I like using beer but don't do it often and don't know why. I know why, my husband always drinks it.

Cool soap! Did you stick with 30% hemp? I hope so; I would like to know how it holds up against dos. I don't understand why people would suggest tweaking the recipe so much that it would be a completely different soap at the end. I've noticed this on a lot of threads lately. I am glad to see creativity and exploration in soap making, even if it doesn't always work out :razz:

I did; I made it exactly as posted earlier. I'll see how I like it as is and, if not, I can tweak it the next time.

I realize everyone has their preferences when it comes to soap and I'm fine with that. If I didn't really want opinions, I wouldn't have asked, right? I was more worried about the fact that the recipe was, and still is, posted in ounces, not percentages.

I glad you did it. Looks good. I used hemp at 20% once and had no problem. I like using beer but don't do it often and don't know why. I know why, my husband always drinks it.

I know, right? I guess I'm kind of lucky that my husband doesn't like the beers I've been using so far.

Having made this one soap, I'm tempted to try small batches of some of the others on the same web site. They do use a lot of oils but, hey, it's all in the name of science, right?

I had a two near- volcanoes and one full on from beer/hard cider reductions. In hind sight, I could have just popped them in a freezer. Glad to see they work for you.

I don't even freeze mine. I did leave the beer open, in a large bowl, for a couple of days, stirring it whenever I was near it. Once it's flat, I pour it back into the growler and store it in the fridge.

When I make my lye solution, I simply measure out what I need and very slowly add the lye until it's all dissolved. I do that outside, though, because it's really smelly. Once it's completely cool, and my oils are about the same temperature, I go ahead as normal. It does trace quickly but I know that it will, so I plan for it.

I've not had any issues with overheating, volcanoes, anything. I think I've made 8 batches of beer soap so far, with two different beers and have a third variety chilling outside for more.

Back