Opinions please: CP vs HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilove2soap

Reaction score
I have only ever made cp soap but am considering learning how to make hot process. Last weekend I had 2 failed cp batches-one with lye pockets and one covered in lye crystals (later found out my scale is on the fritz) but it got me thinking about giving hp soaping a try. I like the idea of cooking the soap to neutrality and not taking a chance of burning someone with a hidden lye pocket.
Since I know nothing about hp soaping, I was hoping some of you lovely soapers who have tried both methods can tell me which one you like better and why. How does hot process effect the finished soap?
I don't know if it matters, but I don't sell my soaps (just like to gift my family and friends). Thanks!!

I HP to test new recipes and fix screw ups (most notably, FOs that rice on me :evil:)

Start out the same way as CP, get to trace, dump in crock pot, cook to vaseline stage (looks like vaseline/feels waxy on your fingers), add FO/EO, stir well, dump in mold, let cool. Cut. Easy peasy.

Here's a tutorial with pictures:
http://smftutorials.com/drupal/how-to-make-cphp-soap

AmyW said:
I HP to test new recipes and fix screw ups (most notably, FOs that rice on me :evil:)

Start out the same way as CP, get to trace, dump in crock pot, cook to vaseline stage (looks like vaseline/feels waxy on your fingers), add FO/EO, stir well, dump in mold, let cool. Cut. Easy peasy.

Here's a tutorial with pictures:
http://smftutorials.com/drupal/how-to-make-cphp-soap

I want to try, I've never done this either, thank you :)

Sounds like something else to add to my 'to do' list. I gave my hot pot to my daughter, so must keep a look out for a cheap one. Thanks

I just did it for the first time tonight (shocking I know!!!) to try a formulation for a shampoo bar. I wanted to add the superfat oil after the cook is why I chose HP.

Things I learned....

1. It's not that hard...its like CP and Rebatch (sort of) all in one.
2. Using a really low flash point FO is a BAD idea....because by the time your soap batter is cool enough to add it, it will be too cool to mold it properly. Mine is crumble city!
3. Likewise warm your superfat oil (if adding later) or it will compound the problem.

Once I get my crock-pot cleaned out I'll be rebatching this one....and probably loosing all the yummy scent. Oh well...it was just a test for formula anyway.

I mostly do CP, but I HP when I'm soaping my real ornery FOs that just don't take well to CP.

I prefer the oven method of HP, using my large stainless steel soup pot w/cover. I like using my oven (instead of my crockpot) because in my oven the exact temp is a known variable and the heat is more even and uniform as opposed to my crockpot.

First, I preheat my oven to 170F, then I start out just like I do when I'm making CP, only I use my big soup pot to mix my lye solution and oils in instead of my regular soaping pot.

When it's at med-thick trace, I just cover the pot and place it in the oven and check every 20 minutes or so until it reaches the vaseline/transluscent/gel stage, and then I check for zap.

If it still zaps, I cook for 10 more minutes and check again, repeating this action until my batter no longer zaps.

When neutral, I add color and then remove from oven to cool down to the flashpoint of my FO.

Then I add FO and pour/glop into my mold and leave to cool.

When completely cool, I unmold and cut.

IrishLass :)

Question for the crock pot soapers - How does the finish of the crockery hold up to the HP? Can it still be used for anything else or is solely for soap once you've soaped in it?

Soap tools.....cooking tools....two different things. You can buy a cheap crock-pot at Target or the like for $20, or at Goodwill for much less! I don't mess with cross contamination....I don't want beef stew in my soap! LOL

Crock pots

I bought a 4-qt at Ace Hardware for $10 on sale a few weeks ago. I love that store for soap supplies -- it's got Roto brand lye crystals, scales, crocks, etc.

ghia61 said:
Question for the crock pot soapers - How does the finish of the crockery hold up to the HP? Can it still be used for anything else or is solely for soap once you've soaped in it?

I didn't have a crockpot when I started, so I picked up a big one at walmart for $20. Soap making never hurt it, and once it was cleaned, it was fine for food use.

When my first batch of 100% olive oil wouldn't trace, IrishLass suggested that I just heat it to 170ºf and put it in a 170ºf oven, let it go an hour, turn off the heat and let it go overnight. It worked perfectly. The soap was usable almost immediately the next day, but has hardened a great deal over the past weeks.

I personally prefer cp, but I feel learning cphp is a very important learning tool for understanding how soap is made... You are in control and more aware of what you are doing, versus what happens when you put the lid on and leave it for eight hours..

People have diffent opinions on whether it should be used solely for soap.. On the most laid back level - everything should always be properly sterized between uses anyway so there is theoretically no harm.. I choose not, personal preference.. but it's because my food appliances are for food, not soap... I'm not worried about food getting into soap as much (without the lye and fragrance, the rest is food)

Back