OOPS! Maybe?!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I watched a bunch of videos and I have read tons of information and blah blah blah. I finally felt secure enough to make my own soap. I get everything ready. I am doing everything just like the instructions and then it happens. I use red palm oil instead of palm oil. CRAP! What should I do. Recipe is done and in its molds. Here is the recipe. 7.9 oz water, 3.4 oz lye, 8 oz coconut oil, 8 oz EVOO, and 8 oz of red palm oil. I cannot find info on it other than purchasing soap with it. Thoughts!

Is there a difference? I know there is a difference between palm oil and palm kernel oil. But red palm oil and palm oil are both made from the fruit. I would think they are the same, but am unsure.

I've used red palm oil several times and the soap is wonderful. The yellow will fad to a white.

Awesome, Thanks everyone. The red is already starting to turn a dark orange and places I dripped it on the edge of my mold, it is yellow. I am fine with whatever color as long as it doesn't dye my skin, hahahahaha. Although I have thought about making a batch and adding some pretty colored koolade and giving it to my dad. I owe him one. I think making soap will turn out to be fun. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Wonderful, unbleached version and I love it. So I just checked my soap (because I have no patience) and it is starting to harden and smells soooooo good. I did a rosemary lime with a bit of peppermint essential oils, and it smells like rosemary lime peppermint. The red/orange color is getting lighter, which is fine. But that smell, my God how have I lived my entire life not making my own soap. It was easy and smells so good. My mom called:
Mom: Hi what are you doing sweetie?
Me: Making Soap.
Mom: Making soap?
(Dad in Background: What kind of soap? Me: bar soap. Mom: The kind you use in the shower. Dad: I hate you both, always have to be sarcastic. (HEHEHEHEHE)
Me: Yes mom I'm making soap.
Mom: Bring me some, I wanna try it.
Me: It won't be done for 4 to 6 weeks.
Mom: Bring me some then.
Me: You ain't never made me soap when I was a kid. You went and bought it.
Mom: So!
Me: So go buy you some soap.
Mom: Little boy, little boy come to my house and talk that way.
Me: What way?
Mom: You were a brat and didn't deserve homemade soap. Now when that soap is ready you better bring me a bar to try or I'm coming over there.
Me: Yes ma'am!

No worries. It has same SAP value as regular palm oil. Personally I love the red palm and orangish color - the soap will turn out beautiful without adding any other powder or colorant.

Although I have thought about making a batch and adding some pretty colored koolade and giving it to my dad.

Koolade isn't going to be good for coloring soaps. For one thing, it has citric acid that will mess with your superfatting levels. For another, it's colored with FDC colors, and those are not pH-stable. You won't get the color that you think you're getting when you add the Koolade.

Ok so here goes! I removed my soap last night. I cut each bar in half as they were too big. I got them prepared to lick. I called the other half in and this is how it went down:
Me: what we have to do is touch the tip of our tongue to the soap. If it zaps us like a 9 volt battery I have to redo it.
Him: are you serious?
Me: yes!
Him: ok
Me: ok on the count of three. 1, 2, 3!
I stick my tongue under the soap and he actually touches his tongue to it. Nothing no zap. So then I do it. Again no zap. Yay!
Him: hey you didn't do it.
Me: I did too, I just waited to make sure it didn't zap you before I did it. I'm smart.
Him: your dead. I'm gonna get even.
Me: hahahahahahahahahahaha
Him: watch your back.
Me: not nervous in the least. You know I welcome the practical jokes. Bring it.
Him: I'm going to. Your gonna fear me.

red palm oil is palm oil that is less processed and has more carotene along with other nutrients in it. hence the orange color. soap wise-no difference except that there are more nutrients in the soap, although i am not entirely sure just how many of them will survive the high alkaline environment.

Why Ooooop?

Ok so I watched a bunch of videos and I have read tons of information and blah blah blah. I finally felt secure enough to make my own soap. I get everything ready. I am doing everything just like the instructions and then it happens. I use red palm oil instead of palm oil. CRAP! What should I do. Recipe is done and in its molds. Here is the recipe. 7.9 oz water, 3.4 oz lye, 8 oz coconut oil, 8 oz EVOO, and 8 oz of red palm oil. I cannot find info on it other than purchasing soap with it. Thoughts!

Just wondering why you thought you had oopsed. Did the soap not turn out, not set etc?

Cheers

Gerry

Because I used red palm oil instead of palm oil and couldn't find if it was the same or not. Plus couldn't find red palm oil on a lye calculator. Not matter the soap is fine and smells delicious.

Back