Olive oil cost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F Murtz

Reaction score
I may not bother with olive oil soap making except for a bit of fun as I can not find cheap olive oil, I can buy Turkish Castile soap in bulk as cheap as it is to make it,
might try and find a butcher who will almost give away beef fat and have a go at tallow soap.

OO has gotten quite pricey. About a year ago I switched to using high oleic safflower oil, its cheap and I like it better than OO in soap.

I too have made the switch from OO to Rice Bran and then either HO Safflower or HO Sunflower. I was getting my OO at Costco but it's up to 33.00 for 2-3 liter bottles.

I may not bother with olive oil soap making except for a bit of fun as I can not find cheap olive oil, I can buy Turkish Castile soap in bulk as cheap as it is to make it,
might try and find a butcher who will almost give away beef fat and have a go at tallow soap.
I am from Turkey, and 1 lt is 2 dolllars roughly. I strongly recommend you to use OO, its very healthy

If you live near a Meijer's, watch for OO to go on sale. I try to stock up when they have a buy 1 get 1 free sale. Last time it was on the Bertolli brand. Sometimes it's on the store brand. I was getting a good deal on Amazon then I discovered that what I was getting was a 80/20 Sunflower/Olive blend. I've found other deals on Amazon for OO so if you go that route, make sure it's 100% Olive oil.

And it’s got nothing much healthy when in soap. It washes off we’re not eating it. Plus I don’t like Castile soap. So not an issue here.
What are your favorite Oils? I used olive oil, Argan oil, cocoa oil and sunflower oil lately and added a little bit of a kombucha tea in it. Just bought palm oil and black seed oil and will mix them in my next trial.

I do not know the relative worth of a dollar in turkey but it is five dollars AU a litre for the cheapest except for occasional specials
You are getting your OO cheap then @F Murtz , the cheapest I can find in Perth works out at 65c/100ml. Hurry up Costco, I will be first in line to take out a membership when they open next year.

I asked my butcher what he does with his fat and he said he puts it in the bin This means that he has to pay to have it taken away so he was more than happy to give it to me :) I can't get pig fat there though (halal butcher) but I pay $3/kg for pig fat from a Korean butcher just around the corner. They really are a nose to tail butcher so absolutely nothing goes to waste, which is great (although it does mean I do not get free fat).

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy olive oil from Sams club. It's $16 for 3 liters where I live. I just recently started using HO sunflower which I found a few cents cheaper an ounce.

If you live near a Meijer's, watch for OO to go on sale. I try to stock up when they have a buy 1 get 1 free sale. Last time it was on the Bertolli brand. Sometimes it's on the store brand. I was getting a good deal on Amazon then I discovered that what I was getting was a 80/20 Sunflower/Olive blend. I've found other deals on Amazon for OO so if you go that route, make sure it's 100% Olive oil.
The OP is in Australia, we don't have meijers here.

I buy olive oil from Sams club. It's $16 for 3 liters where I live. I just recently started using HO sunflower which I found a few cents cheaper an ounce.
The OP is in Australia, we don't have sams club here.

Latest posts

Back