okay...so a word of caution......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurbidBlue

Reaction score
DO NOT use a BAKING SIFTER to try and sift a cocoa powder line into your soap! :p

I have been going stir crazy for the last week. I've had a nasty case of strep AND tonsilitis AND allergies. I finally went to see the doctor on Monday afternoon and he loaded me up on meds (yea!). Normally, I get a burst of energy from the steriods they put me on to reduce the swelling in the tonsils....which happened today.

I dec'd to try my first batch of shaving soap in my first pvc pipe mold. I got everything ready, mixed my lye water and my oils. Stick blended away.....added my clay and a little buttermilk powder. Added my fo. everything was going great. I started to pour it into my mold....and I had a brilliant idea. I grabbed the cocoa powder out of the cabinet and racked my brain for a way to sift it into the pipe. Then I had one of those lightbulbs go off in my head and grabbed my baking sifter. I thought it was brilliant! WRONG!!!

I started to sift away...and my entire sink and counter and everthing on them was covered in a matter of seconds in cocoa powder!! :shock: I started cursing...the dogs ran and hid (I still havent found the little one...shes probably in her favourite hidy hole-my closet-behind my coats).

I have no idea what this soap will look like. But after scrubbing my kitchen....and running out of my 'steroid burst' half way thru....I think I'm going to be cleaning up cocoa powder for weeks. It's everywhere...and it refuses to wipe up completely.

I think I'm going to blame it all on the drugs!!! :p

And yes...those were clean dishes in the other side of the sink! :p

I almost pee'd my pants reading cuz I was just going to curse black oxide!!! :shock: I have the same look in my kitchen right now, only jet black! That stuff is nasty! I have no excuse, though, just my blondness! Me and my experiments! I am happy to commisserate with you! LOL!!!

ETA: Oh, glad you are feeling better!!!

x

i whipped up a batch the other day, swirled in the pot and went to pour into my wooden slab mold-OOOPS!!!-forgot to line it first-so a mad scramble into my soap room, stepping over barking puppies, looking for my plastic tray molds that i don't use anymore! :oops:

ROTFL!!!! Oh wow....that sucks. LOL!! Funny story tho'.
Sorry you're sick and that the evil cocoa powder ain't helpin' ya none, but at least you gave all of us a heads up on the baking sifter idea - because I may have tried that myself.

Hope you feel better soon! :cry:

SimplyE said:
I almost pee'd my pants reading cuz I was just going to curse black oxide!!! :shock: I have the same look in my kitchen right now, only jet black! That stuff is nasty! I have no excuse, though, just my blondness! Me and my experiments! I am happy to commisserate with you! LOL!!!

ETA: Oh, glad you are feeling better!!!

I'm not gonna show you what my kitchen looked like after the first time I tried using activated charcoal! :shock:

You poor thing! I'm so sorry! I hope you get over all the ails soon.

Try putting your cocoa or whatever into a small jar and cover it with a piece of pantyhose and a rubberband, then just gently tap the powder through the fabric onto the soap.

Don't soapers make the BEST messes!

Thanks for the warning and the chuckle, I think we have all had an experiment gone wrong.Mine was with alkanet powder ..yikes what a mess that does not wash out of rags etc..

I hope you feel better soon.

Kitn

Latest posts

Back