Ok I'm GETTING a "Tank" but.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegan

Reaction score
Aside from what the base is made of is there really any difference between the Advanced and the Commercial cutter? Do the different base materials really make that much of a difference??

If I were going to buy another, I'd just ante up and buy the most expensive model. I have the hobby cutter, made 1/2 from cabinet wood and 1/2 the aluminum. It bothers me that I can only cut 12" loaves (even though, for now, my molds are only 8" but it has stopped me from buying or making new molds).

The wood is nice and strong but harder to clean.

The downside to that one is that if you have a log that is longer than the cutter you need to cut it first. But no biggie.

Dubnica, I have the one in your link that folds flat. My hubby surprised me with it for Christmas. I really like it. I can cut a 14" loaf and if I have one that's longer, I just cut it first. I, too, like the fact that it folds flat. It cuts so quick. I haven't had a bit of trouble with the wood getting dirty from soap or anything like that. The wood has a very nice finish to it, so it just wipes clean, when needed. I think you'll like it. :)

Bukawww said:
If I were going to buy another, I'd just ante up and buy the most expensive model. I have the hobby cutter, made 1/2 from cabinet wood and 1/2 the aluminum. It bothers me that I can only cut 12" loaves (even though, for now, my molds are only 8" but it has stopped me from buying or making new molds).

The wood is nice and strong but harder to clean.
I have the hobby cutter and LOVE it. For my logs that are longer than the cutter, I just cut it at the 12" mark to make 2 loaves and then cut them both as normal.
No biggie and I've gotten it to where I know where/how to cut the soap so I don't have mis-proportioned soap bars and no waste or small bars. :) But mine isn't aluminum. That would be very bad to use on uncured soaps... Mine is made of wood and some sort of polycarbonate plastic.

I got the FCS Hobby Cutter for Christmas and I love it.
I like that it stores flat, because I like to keep it under my bed. I also think it's very easy to clean because of the finish.
I do make small #2 loaves, though, and I've nothing else to compare it to, besides me cutting soap by hand and I can tell you, it certainly blows that away :)

Back