Oils for lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaldwin

Reaction score
I am placing an order for some oils for soaping. I also want to try my hand at lotion making. Suggestions for good oils to start with? I will have OO, Rice Bran oil, coconut 76, SAO, caster oil, and avocado oil. I don't want to get any of the high dollar exotic oils at first. Should I also look at FCO, Sunflower, Sesame Oil.

Thanks,
Michael

I always use some sunflower oil in my soap, b/c I have read that it works with olive oil to increase lather. Haven't actually tested this. I would add cocoa butter and/or shea butter, especially if you think you may be interested in making lotion bars or lip balm. And if you think you may want to do lotion bars or lip balm, you'll need some beeswax.

Depending on your skin typ, I like rosehip, meadowfoam oil, sweet almond,grapeseed, apricot kernel, peach kernel and fractionated coconut oil.

Hi Michael!

Rice bran is nice for the skin, as well as grapeseed and castor. I found http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ on this forum as a great place regarding formulating lotions. So much useful stuff! If doing a lotion with water added, remember that you will need some sort of preservative to avoid mold and bacterial growth. If you so a solid lotion, you don't necessarily need a preservative but a little vitamin e wouldn't hurt to extend the life of the oils (especially sunflower and grapeseed). Good luck :smile::smile::smile:

I was in a single oil lotion swap and the oils that most people liked were hemp, avocado, rice bran and olive oil. Hard butters tended to be waxy in lotion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done a few lotion bars, so I already have some butters and bee's wax. I do not care for lotion bars much. I need to do some more work on them, but they are either to draggy, or too oily for me. My wife and kids love them though, especially the one with coco butter SAO and vit E. I added some vanilla FO and it smells great. I have everything, except the oils for making oil in water lotions. I think I will avoid the OO, at least for myself. It tends to make me break out with my soaps. I am afraid it would do the same in a lotion.

Swift's blog is the reason I am spending all this money now. I started with leave-in conditioners/detangler for my girls' hair. It seems no matter what I do, it comes out better then anything we have bought. if my first lotions with inexpensive oils turn out better than the store stuff, I will be pleased with that as well.

Thanks,
Michael

Latest posts

Back