Oh kelp, why have you forsaken me?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy_bareskin

Reaction score
So I had what I thought was a good idea, to put some kelp in a clay mask for a bit of exfoliant and extra nutrients etc. Unfortunately, what appeared to be fairly fine kelp swelled up into huge big chunks! I'm glad I only made a really small amount as a test.

The mask, minus the globs of kelp, was fantastic. My skin feels great. I've left the rest in the bowl I mixed it in to let it dry out so that I can mash it up in the mortar and pestle and see if I can get it any finer. Maybe kelp just isn't made for anything but soap.

Has anyone had any success putting kelp into clay masks or other body products? I'd like to know how you got it to stay fine?

Was it powdered?

I add kelp as if it were a color, with a small amount of glycerin. Same with nori, dry it well and then pulverize with the magic bullet or coffee grinder.

Not powdered enough it seems. It is a bit rough still so I think I'll have to pulverise it some more.

I made another batch of the clay without the kelp and its fantastic.

fromnaturewithlove.com has powdered kelp. It's nice to use, but it does give a fishy smell when wet, so use sparingly.

Stacy, mind if I ask what other items are in your face mask since you had good results?

What type of clay, what other ingredients (other than the kelp)? Is there any special process involved in making the mask?

Sure, here's the recipe I used:

2 Tbs yellow French argiletz clay
1.5Tbs water
5-10 drops avocado oil
1 drop lemongrass EO
1 drop rosemary EO
1 drop liquid germall plus (preservative)

Add water to clay, mix with a spoon to remove any clumps.
Add remaining ingredients and any extra water if clay is too thick.

Makes approx. 30ml

I'm going to try it again tonight and see how it goes without the kelp. Had to wait a few days to try it out again or it would dry my skin out too much.

The yellow clay was all that I had on hand. I'd like to make a green clay mask as well when I get some.

Thanks a bunch Stacy...I'm interested in masks since they don't seem to take much prep work and have a "luxurious" appeal to them. I appreciate your experience with your recipes.

I tried the mask again last night and my skin feels fantastic today!

My skin started breaking out suddenly over the last few days so I was hoping that the mask would pull out all the rubbish thats been building up. Today all the inflammation has gone and my skin feels cleaner and there's no sore spots. I'm really impressed. I'll be passing this one onto my friends to use.

I love a good clay mask once or twice a week. It makes my skin feel so much cleaner and I have very temperamental skin.

I'm going to give your recipe a go! Thank you for posting it.

Latest posts

Back