Oh Dear - What have i done?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serene Cream

Reaction score
I just made a spiced milk and honey soap and it has turned into a volcano!!

I added some evaporated milk and honey with some ground cinnamon and cloves in it at light trace. It came to full trace quite quickly, so I poured it and wrapped it up. 5 minutes later it is frothing over the sides of the mould!!

Was it too hot? Should I not have wrapped it? Is this because of the honey or the milk do you think?

Can I save it or do I need to rebatch it? :cry: :cry:

Thanks Debbie

Oh Yeah! Milk & Honey are like the perfect storm for volcano soap.

You can rebatch or just let it cool a bit and mash it back down. If you decide to use as is the soap will be ok, but a little light - lots of air gets incorporated into the mix during the eruption.

**Don't stress too much** My very favorite bar ever was a Volcano Honey soap. I scooped the mess into every available single mold I had and mashed away. My son still has his secret stash of it his bathroom.

I can tell you that milk'n'honey is probably one of my favourite soaps. I am however using powdered milk and liquid honey. I've done it CP & HP with HP being my favourite - I found the scent just so much richer.

With both processes I don't wrap this soap and I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had any trouble with them.

Thanks so much for your replies - I feel a bit reassured now.

I was using a milk carton for a mould which perhaps for this type of soap is not a good idea as it holds the heat a bit too much, next time i do milk and honey I will do it in my tray mould and leave it uncovered.

I'll let you know how it looks tomorrow when I unmould it!

thanks again - you guys are great!

ok - so I unmoulded this soap today and it really is no good. It has big holes in the middle (looks like a cave). So I am definately going to have to rebatch it. I haven't done this before so I'm not sure what to do - do I just melt it in a double boiler and pour it back in the mould. Do I need to add anything - water? I think the recipe was okay - just too much heat. i really hope i can save it - it smells great!

Thanks for any help

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Yes you can use a double boiler, and do it slowly on a low heat. I would recommend that you grate it and since there are big holes in it, please wear gloves just in case there is still some lye present. Once you have melted it down then you can either re-pour it or whip it with electric beaters. If you decide to beat it then make sure that it is fully melted with no lumps in it and keep it over the heat.

Good luck and please post pictures - we like pictures! :D

you can use any recipe, simply divide the liquid. use about half to make your lye solution (you should have as much water as lye, weight for weight to ensure it dissolves) and use milk for the rest of the liquid. But add the milk at light trace.

add the honey, diluted with a bit of warm water, at that time too - or dissolved it in your milk...

Any milk soap (or honey soap for that matter) will fare better in a horizontal mold as opposed to an upright. That is simply because in a horizontal mold you have more surface area to dissipate heat quicker.
Oh, man, I'll bet that was a mess! The worst batch of soap I ever made was a canned milk soap in an upright PVC mold... tragic!

Canned milk can make absolutely heavenly soap.... I love it, and there is a trick to it:

Cool your melted oils down to room temp.
Make half your fluid ice cubes (by weight), and the other half will be your undiluted canned milk (by weight).
Mix your lye with the ice cubes, stirring until the lye is fully dissolved.
Hand-stir your lye solution into the oils, then well before trace stir-in your canned milk (room temp canned milk, not cold). DO NOT WAIT UNTIL TRACE TO ADD THE MILK!

You should not have to stick blend this at all, but you can if it traces slowly. Some recipes that are high in olive or lard will trace slow enough for you to use the SB with it. Just remember, stick blending creats heat, and heat is not a frind to milk soap.

Stir together well, add anything else you are going to add before trace.
Stir or stick blend until you get a THIN TRACE.
Pour into a slab or horizontal log mold.
Do not insulate.
Place under a ceiling fan if your house is warmer than 70f.

Good luck! :D

Latest posts

Back