Oatmeal, Coconut Milk, Honey & Vanilla

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
Made another experimental batch today. Oatmeal, coconut milk, honey and vanilla. It smells amazing! I tried to soap as cold as possible, but the coconut milk and honey still managed to caramelize a bit. I hope it doesn't get too brown. I guess if it does, I can just blame it on the vanilla!! lol

Here it is just poured in the mold... I will update tomorrow. Oh and I added 1 Tbsp. Cornmeal ppo for a light scrub.

I'm curious what you used for the vanilla scent.I've read conflicting articles/posts about vanilla not making it through soponification. I'm planning a goats milk honey vanilla.I originallywanted to use real vanilla beans infused in oil then rendering vanilla extract to remove the alcohol but if I won't smell it I don't just want brown soap. BTW. The soap looks great can't wait to see it cut.

One of my very favorite soaps is a high olive OMH using coconut milk - I like it with little pockets of honey throughout as well - even unscented, it is GREAT!

danny p said:
I'm curious what you used for the vanilla scent.I've read conflicting articles/posts about vanilla not making it through soponification. I'm planning a goats milk honey vanilla.I originallywanted to use real vanilla beans infused in oil then rendering vanilla extract to remove the alcohol but if I won't smell it I don't just want brown soap. BTW. The soap looks great can't wait to see it cut.

Infusing vanilla beans into oil is a waste of good vanilla. Ditto for trying to remove the alcohol from vanilla extract. Your choices are to use a vanilla absolute ($$$$) or a good quality vanilla fragrance oil. AHRE's vanilla bean and Peak Candle's Sugar Cookie are both well reviewed. Good luck!

danny p said:

I used a vanilla Bean FO from WSP, I've used it before and it's great.
Vanilla Bean FO, WSP

Bukawww said:
One of my very favorite soaps is a high olive OMH using coconut milk - I like it with little pockets of honey throughout as well - even unscented, it is GREAT!

This is my first time using Coconut milk in my OMH, I just hope it doesnt turn to brown. I want it to gel without ending up looking like chocolate!!! LMAO

Wow!! That looks so nice. I bet it smells amazing. I love the cornmeal idea. I am thinking abuot making some gardeners hands soap with cornmeal.

Looks wonderful! I've been using coconut milk this week. I freeze it and then add my lye very slowly and stir like mad. It stays really white (so far). I love what coconut milk does to the soap. Also, I've started adding my (melted, very warm) honey to the batch after I mix it all together to try and keep it from getting to dark---it seems to give my soap an amber color anyway. Love the pictures!

Back