NYC area soapers want to go in on an oil order?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imblebee

Reaction score
Well, making a list and checking it twice... I have some things that I would like to order from Columbus foods. I don't need 50lbs. of anything but I like the prices on those huge cubes instead of the 7lb. bottles.

I can only justify the 50lbs. if I can split it. Anyone in the NYC area interested in basic oils? I do have a vehicle so delivery might be possible... imagine hauling 25lbs. of shea butter and PKO on the subway, ha!

MODS: I know this should prob. go in the co-op area but I know this forum is frequented by many more members. If I am wrong in posting please remove. Thank you,

Caitlin

P.S. so far I am thinking CB pressed golden, CO76, PalmRBD, RBO and refined shea but open to others!

Larissa and I are in! Do you know how much they run in shipping? We're probably looking at over 100lbs of stuff if we order.

Actually was just looking at their shipping chart, and they don't have the first three of our zip listed, but seems pretty expensive overall if they charge per item. It would really only make sense for us if we can get a reduced shipping rate for bulk.

Hi Beerfish,

I like the name :wink:

So far I have 127lbs. in my imaginary cart.

50# CO76
50# Palm
10# Shea
10# CB
7# RBO

Shipping to 10019 is $58.73. We can divide shipping by number of pounds for each person. Pretty economical that way. The only items I am hard set on is the CO and Palm. Are you guys in the city?

We're in Bergen County, but we have a Jeep and can traipse on in to meet you. Eric (beerfish) emailed the company to see if we could get a better shipping rate on a BIG bulk order. That'd be nice!

Oh boy, I don't know if I can handle/hide more than 30lbs. ea of the "big guy 50#" cubes. When you find out about the shipping let me know! I travel to Philly every other weekend and could possibly pick up the oils from you guys on the way.

I'm down in Monmouth County, but am in Little Falls every weekend.

I purchase at Columbus Foods regularly, and last time we checked, unless you go as high as a pallet, there isn't a significant savings on shipping for larger oils.

Hey Carebear,

Monmouth, that's real close by!

Are you running low on anything or do you have an order planned in the next month or so?

Oh I just got in a 200# order!

But I do need more safflower (HO) and I could use a box of lard. And olive oil - I'd love a drum but don't use it quite fast enough so a box or 2 of that would work.

Holy Boy! 200# of oils... I think I'd have to start hiding that under the bed, in my desk drawers and in the bar cabinet. (Cue: Dear, why is there a cube of lard next to the scotch?!)

I love lard in soap but unfortunately my friends are "pretend-vegan" and they would never use my stuff just on principal. Dodo's don't know what they're missing... If you want a lot of lard I can take 15# or so.

I would love olive oil too but I think I can get it from BJ's for about the same price. I haven't had troubles with freshness yet, have you purchased from big wholesale clubs?

I get my OO from Columbus Foods because they do their own quality control testing. After all the press about adulterated olive oil I don't want to take any chances.

Also - One of the oils that is used to adulterate olive is peanut oil and each of my children has a life threatening allergy to peanuts. So this way I get to cook with the OO!

Well, 127lbs, plus a few boxes, plus our order... I haven't heard back from them yet, but it's sounding like a pallet may be a possibility...

I'll post once I hear back from them.

Between the beer brewing and the soap and candle making, we're seriously going to have the neighbors questioning what we're doing...

egads, no!

I need to split an order, what do you and your wife have in mind for oil choices?

I think a pallet option needs a ridiculously large order, like 4 drums of one thing... :lol:

Back