Not sure what the oils are

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue hill

Reaction score
Hi all, today i went to buy ghee and came across this all vegetable kind, so i decided to give it a try (i wanted it for cooking not soap). The ingredients list only says:vegetable oils, natural colorants. When i opened it it didn't smell or feel like ghee at all, more like refined palm oil, maybe mixed with some coconut oil. My question is , is there ANY way i could use that to make soap, maybe just count it as all Palm oil on soap calc, and see how it goes from there? Would anyone do that, done that, or should i not even try? I wish i knew which oils they used and in what percentages!

Without knowing what the specific vegetable oils are, it would be impossible to get the correct SAP # in order to know how much lye you would need to make a safe batch. If it were me, I wouldn't bother, but that's just me.

IrishLass :)

I would try it? I wouldnt sell it though as obviously you cant label it correctly but for my own use and for gifts for friends and family I would give it a try. Make a small batch based on Palm oil and see how you go? It cant hurt :)

maybe you can contact the producer and ask which oils exactly are in it?

I would try it. I'll try anything (at least once!) I would think if you are making a small batch, using it for yourself and add the lye required for the oil that requires the least amount to turn into soap...then you've got it covered. That way the only thing that would logically go wrong is that it would end up too superfatted.

Have fun! That's what it's all about. :p

Back