Not So Newbie Stupid Question Dept.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gregory

Reaction score
Several years ago I made a batch of cold process soap. It came out greasy and after curing I wrapped it in paper towels to soak up the grease.

Today I took it out and unwrapped the stuff. It's turned a terra cotta orange [kind of nice] and smells slightly rancid. The paper towels smell a lot more rancid. Unwrapped it all and have set it aside.

I used a bar in the kitchen this afternoon and it sudses up nicely.

For my own education, I want to rebatch this via the crock pot method. Do you all think it's pointless ?

This was a Crisco/Olive Oil and vegetable oil recipe.

I'm getting back into soaping and am relearning everything. Like not moving so fast. I want to create a simple basic soap.

Thanks in advance, everyone

It sounds like the soap has completely gone rancid, which isn't the best thing, mostly because of the smell and tendency to get slimy, and spread the rancidity to any bars it touches. You can't make it stop being rancid by rebatching it, but I don't think it would hurt anything if you're just rebatching to learn rebatching on soap that doesn't matter.

It sounds like the soap has completely gone rancid, which isn't the best thing, mostly because of the smell and tendency to get slimy, and spread the rancidity to any bars it touches. You can't make it stop being rancid by rebatching it, but I don't think it would hurt anything if you're just rebatching to learn rebatching on soap that doesn't matter.
Thanks.

An unlucky batch from beginning to end.

Better to have a fresh restart the second go round I think.

Yes it is rather pointless to try and salvage rancid soap. The smell will survive the rebatch and it will continue to spoil in spite of what you throw at it; better to start afresh.

You can still use the soap, but if the smell lingers on your skin, you may soon grow tired of this soap and toss it out.

My suggestion is to make small batches at a time so if there are any problems, you won't have a lot of wasted soap. Run your recipe by this group before actually making the soap. We can provide experienced advise on what works well and what could be improved in a recipe to prevent a bad batch of soap. Choose an oil combination that is less likely to lead to DOS (dreaded orange spots) or rancidity. Invest in a good scale if you don't have one already. Use grams instead of ounces for more accuracy in weight measures. Read through the Beginners Forum section here at SMF for several pages to get a base of knowledge.

Those are just a few suggestions to help you on your way. Welcome to the forum, David.

All very very useful, Earlene. I was hoping the rancid fragrance was only on the paper towels they were wrapped in and that soaked up the excess oil. Or that I could "cook it out" in a re-batch.

Have a new scale coming, as well as a laser thermometer and have found a recipe that will make just one pound at a time with simple ingredients. What I should have done when I first started. Always over my skis.

This last batch filled a Tupperware sheet cake storage container, perhaps four pounds. It made a heap o' bad soap.

Many thanks.

Easy recipe to get started again? Lard, cocoa butter, rice bran oil, coconut oil and castor oil. In that order. I've been making this for years once I hit on this recipe 4 years ago. I made it for a fund raiser for my bro's church. I saved a few bars out for myself. I still have 2 of them and so far, no DOS. Scent has faded as has the pot swirl color (still there, but faint). This is now my "go to" recipe. I still try other things occasionally, but this one never fails to please me.

Post your recipe before you make it so we can take a look. I suspect your first batch went bad from the crisco. I also used crisco when I first started and almost every batch went bad.
There are good recipes with grocery store oils that will be nice. My soap supplies are all bought local.

Easy recipe to get started again? Lard, cocoa butter, rice bran oil, coconut oil and castor oil. In that order. I've been making this for years once I hit on this recipe 4 years ago. I made it for a fund raiser for my bro's church. I saved a few bars out for myself. I still have 2 of them and so far, no DOS. Scent has faded as has the pot swirl color (still there, but faint). This is now my "go to" recipe. I still try other things occasionally, but this one never fails to please me.
Just the sort of thing I am looking for: one reliable recipe. Thanks

Post your recipe before you make it so we can take a look. I suspect your first batch went bad from the crisco. I also used crisco when I first started and almost every batch went bad.
There are good recipes with grocery store oils that will be nice. My soap supplies are all bought local.
Thanks for that info, Obsidian. Have just come from the store with coconut oil and lard. Next trip to Goodwill for a used crock pot. I have determined that hot process seems a little more forgiving if you keep a watch on it. I was always racing to keep things right making cold process. I may have never made a decent batch. This seems slower and I need to learn to scale back and slow down, walk before running, anyway. Hot process seems ideal for my level of [dubious] experience.

You know, the internet has been amazing. Something I didn't use the first time around. I don't know how many soap making vids I have watched over the past week. Silicone molds ??? What a fiendish idea !

Ironically, I just wanted to stick with M&P this time.

Latest posts

Back