Not happy with lard recipe, need help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...Is the full water giving more time to work with soap?..."

Yes, it can. In my trial with 2 different recipes using 30% lye solution concentration vs my usual 33%, I did get more time to play. The one recipe with a small % of coconut oil was very liquid-y for quite awhile -- to the point where I was wondering if I'd got too much of a good thing going! This recipe didn't gel. The other recipe moved a little faster than the first, but it had more CO and I used beer as the water phase. This recipe did gel.

What was true for both batches is that they were softer so I wasn't able to unmold and cut as soon as I normally expect to.

I tried to keep the other variables (temp, mold, mixing method, etc) as similar to my usual as possible, so I'd say the differences I observed -- softer soap, but more time to play -- was mainly due to the increased water.

Not saying this is true always -- obviously others are sharing different results in this thread -- but this is what I experienced with these two recipes.

Me too I used patchouli eo on my lard soap. It's really smell piggy

If you are in the US and have a reasonable ethnic Mexican contingent shopping nearby, there is an Armour brand, sometimes simply called Manteca. It comes in a green and white box/tub. I have found it to be extremely clean smelling and wonderful in soap.

I have used lard a few times but also find it to remind me of bacon no matter what I do. I do use crisco in soap I make for home use and for gifts. I like it really well.

If you are in the US and have a reasonable ethnic Mexican contingent shopping nearby, there is an Armour brand, sometimes simply called Manteca. It comes in a green and white box/tub. I have found it to be extremely clean smelling and wonderful in soap.

This has been my experience as well. I think that a contributing factor might be that because I live in such a highly diverse, ethnic area where the lard turnover is very high, that the lard I buy from my grocer hasn't been sitting on the shelf for very long.

IrishLass :)

This is what I use - Armour brand from Wal-Mart, I don't think it has a bad smell.

Lard.jpg

I use Armour Lard/Manteca also from Walmart(where I see a tub in 2 out of every 5 carts, so it has quick turnover) and I can still smell it in soap unless I use something to cover it up. I know my nose is super sensitive, but surely I am not the only one.

Unfortunately I am in UK There is no good quality lard in here. I heard about Manteca in Philippines we using them and no Peggy smell.

I use Armour Lard/Manteca also from Walmart(where I see a tub in 2 out of every 5 carts, so it has quick turnover) and I can still smell it in soap unless I use something to cover it up. I know my nose is super sensitive, but surely I am not the only one.
I think every fat as a smell ... if I pick up a plain old stearin candle I can smell something. Certainly animal fats smell differently than vegetable ones. I guess when I say "no smell" the lard I use has no "pork" odor which I do smell in some lesser lards.

Latest posts

Back