Newby whipped shea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I know...the nemesis of all questions regarding whipped shea. I used 75% shea and 25% hemp. It seemed all was going well, but then it really started to get thin and loose. Did I not whip enough? Or too much? I whipped off and on on high, into the freezer for a bit and then back to whip. Seemed the more I whipped, the more soft it became.

It sounds like a couple of things may have happened.

Maybe you did not long enough in cold to get it to thicken or maybe your whipper did not whip fast enough or a combo of both. I had a whipper that would not whip fast enough even on the highest speed.

Thanks Tab.

Should I keep trying with this batch, or just use it up and start new? I know in cooking if you overwhip, it will not come back. Either way, it still absorbs into my skin and feels great, so all is not a total loss :lol:

My hand mixer seemed to not go as fast as my old one. I think you are right on both accounts.

You can melt it back down & whip it again. I thikn those big stand up bowl mixers whip faster. Try leaving it in the freezer for longer periods betweem whips next time.

Thanks. That is what I will do. I have a nice KitchenAid stand, but I made such a small trial batch, I figured I would just use the hand mixer. Will let you know :D [/url]

All of the above worked great! Melted and ice bath worked great. Can you give me an example of the texture of what is considered a whipped shea? Mine feels great and is firm. Definitely like a butter. It goes on super nice, but wonder if a "real" whip is softer. I really need to get out and see what others are doing :oops:

Can someone clarify this melting/cooling/whipping process for a REAL newbie? I believe this may also help clarify for the original poster. In very detailed steps from the beginning please!

I believe it's something like this:
1. Melt shea butter at approx 175 degrees. What type of consistency should it be at this point? Something like lotion, or more liquid like oil? How long?
2. Whip at fast speed until when? Should it be frothy or more like creamy lotion?
3. Freeze for how long, and what is the point of this? To thicken the butter? What type of consistency are you looking for in the freeze, something like edible butter or soft wax?
4. Mix again? How many times do you repeat this?
5. Do you add oils from the beginning or after a few phases?

My apologies if this is covered somewhere else, I'll keep searching... :D

Char, I am a beginner with this too, but this is what I have learned about it since reading this forum.

1. I don't think the temp *has* to be a whole 175, but it needs to be liquid form. If the butter is grainy tho, you may want to hold the 175 temp for 20 minutes so it doesn't become grainy.

2. A few minutes (five seems common)- or trial and error. Different suppliers, different temp inside your house should be noted just in case. The first time it should still be pretty much liquid.

3. Freeze the same amount of time as you whipped it. You will want to see a very light 'skin' around the edge from where it is getting solid again.

4. yes, mix again... you'll repeat this 2-4 until it's done. How many times depend on the amount you are mixing.

5. I add the oil after the shea has melted but before whipping.. Some may add it while melting the shea, but definately before whipping.

Also, you can always fill your sink with ice and water, making an ice bath. The point of freezing it is you want the temp of the shea/oil to lower and solidify fairly quickly. Whipping in an ice bath the whole time may be better to start so you can watch the whole change take place.

HTH

wow, that's excellent, thanks for the very detailed tips and answering all my questions. I'll keep researching, but I feel much more confident about making some body butter.

Going to start looking for a powerful mixer...

I did a quick search on youtube of "whip shea" and came up with several videos that may help. I am a visual learner so it helps me to see it. :D

Digit

digit said:
I did a quick search on youtube of "whip shea" and came up with several videos that may help. I am a visual learner so it helps me to see it. :D

Digit

I did the same thing. The one from Coastal Scents is pretty good, but sure seems like it takes FOREVER! Come to find out, mine did not get as whippy as it should have, so will do it again. Meanwhile, my hands feel great using up the original batch :D

You whipped it to long
it goes thin if you over whip
just remelt, spray with alcohol to release some of the air bubbles in it and then try it again, i have found with shea that it really doesn't whip all that good after a whipping and re melting.. did you add some oil?
oil really helps in whipping soaps..

Latest posts

Back