Newbie milk questions...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanwater

Reaction score
I see a lot of folks on here use Goats milk in soap, but no one seems to use Cows milk. Is there a reason for that? Is Cows milk bad in soap? And if it's OK, what are the relative merits of each kind?

I think all milk is okay in soap - it is just that goats milk is so good and so gentle on the skin. I have soaped with goats milk, buttermilk and coconut milk (not technically a milk though - lol) and they all add creaminess and a silky feel to the lather. Regular cows milk should be fine in soap too. I have heard of soapers using cream from cows milk in their soaps and loving it too. I have used plain yoghurt and love it. HTH!

Tanya :)

I LOVE coconut milk because it is so much whiter than the GM. But I use GM too and buttermilk.

i'm thinking of trying soy milk or almond milk....has anyone done that.....i searched didn't find anything

Thanks, can I get the same effect from powdered milk at trace as from fresh in place of water? Funny, lye doesn't scare me at all (chemist by trade) but potential curdled milk gives me the heeby-jeebies :?

Yes, I only add my milk at light trace....I usually reserve some of my water amount, say 1/3 cup, and blend the milk powder into that and add that way. I also add fresh gm at trace. Works fine for me! You can also SB the powder into the oils before adding the lye.

Tanya :)

I haven't tried cows milk yet, but someplace I read that it turns stinky and stays stinky. I can't quote anyone but I'm pretty sure the info is laying about. Why not make a #1 batch and see!? Notes and picccies welcome :D

I have seen posts on the web about soy milk , it works fine in soap .You have to make sure the carton says soy milk , not soy beverage though.

Kitn

I'm actually making one with rice milk as we speak (Rice Flower & Shea scent) so we'll see how that goes.

Imblebee said:
I haven't tried cows milk yet, but someplace I read that it turns stinky and stays stinky. I can't quote anyone but I'm pretty sure the info is laying about. Why not make a #1 batch and see!? Notes and picccies welcome :D

I'm one of those that it turned stinky on (heavy cream), but I don't want to discourage anyone else from using it, for I know of other soapers who have used it with no stinky issues at all. My soaps made with smelled like soured milk. Maybe my nose is one of those that is too sensitive to the smell of butyric acid.

I love goat milk and coconut milk, though. They soap great and leave me with no stinky issues.

IrishLass :)

cleanwater said:
Thanks, can I get the same effect from powdered milk at trace as from fresh in place of water? Funny, lye doesn't scare me at all (chemist by trade) but potential curdled milk gives me the heeby-jeebies :?

An old friend of mine is a paramedic. He can literally scrape dead people off sidewalks from horrifying car wrecks etc., but let him see some curdled milk or a baby spit up, and he's all done...lol.

I've soaped with cow milk, condensed milk, whipping cream, coconut milk, goat milk, coffee, beer, buttermilk, ... and just about anything else I spotted in the store that made me go HMMMMMM..... lol. I love to experiment!

Cow milk didn't do anything extraordinarily different from other milks as far as I could tell (soaped cool & no stinkies), BUT all milk soaps are extraordinary in my mind. Cow milk has the milk sugars and fats that produce an awesome soap with creamy rich lather, just like goat milk. But there are different proportions & such, and goat milk has a heck of a reputation (giving better label appeal) and does indeed make a very mild/gentle soap.

I'm totally hooked on goat milk in a soap & although I test bars from every batch I make, I only get that "Mmmm I'm in heaven" feeling when using my goat milk bars. (I do realize a lot of it's probably in my head but my skin seems to know the difference, lol)

Thanks, you folks are a great boost. Info and encouragement all together. One more question... Do you let a dairy soap gel? Or would that overheat the milk?

I don't let mine gel , they can get super hot . I made an oatmeal milk and honey soap last night and discovered that the top of my chest freezer was the perfect place to set the soap set up. Very convenient too since its in the room I soap in.Unless you need in the freezer :shock: .

Kitn

I have a recipe that I use half-and-half in and it turns out great. I haven't tried goats milk yet, but I'm gonna. I love the lather and creaminess in my half-and-half soap.

i have read that the popularity of goats milk is that it produces a whiter soap, that the fats in goats milk are white, whereas the fats in cows milk tend more towards a yellow color.....i haven't tried milk yet, but i'm wanting to do this in the near future. ill most likely do coconut milk, that i know is very white.

Latest posts

Back